We’ll show you which stores to check and tell you which aisles to look in. If you don’t feel like running to the store, we’ll also give you a list of our favorite miso.
Click any of the links in the below table to see our recommended miso.
|Product Name||Good For|
|Miso Boom White Miso Paste||If You’re Searching for Organic|
|Tetsujin White Miso Paste||If You’re Trying to Avoid MSG|
|Hikari Organic White Miso Paste||If You’re Looking for GMO-Free|
|Muso from Japan Smart Miso||If You Want Something Shelf-Stable|
|PuroRaw Red Miso Paste||If You’re Looking for Something Vitamin-Rich|
|Hikari Organic Red Miso Paste||If You Want Something Easy to Store|
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Miso In?
In many big supermarkets, miso of all colors is kept in the produce area with the tofu, tempeh, and mock meats. The same is true of red miso, yellow miso, and any other type.
If you don’t see it there, look for an organic or natural foods aisle. Since miso is typically refrigerated, you should find it in a cooler.
It is possible to find shelf-stable miso in the grocery store. Usually, you’ll see these types of miso in the aisle with Asian products.
Can’t find the tempeh section? Check out this post on where to buy tempeh.
Still, having trouble finding white miso? Check the stores below. One of these is probably your best bet…
Also, Check Out: Where to Find Soy Lecithin in the Grocery Store
What Stores Sell Miso?
- Amazon– Sometimes, the easiest solution is to get what you’ve been searching for on Amazon, the site that has pretty much everything (including red miso and white miso). Plus, you can shop around for the best price and buy in bulk to save money.
- Walmart – You can also buy bulk white miso or bulk red miso from Walmart online or in person. Otherwise, there are other options in the stores. Use the store locator on Walmart’s website to see availability in different locations.
- Whole Foods – Whole Foods has refrigerated Miso Master products. Check the jarred food area of the produce section with items like fermented veggies or wherever the mock meats are kept.
- Your Local Health Food Store– Most independent natural food stores should stock some miso, perhaps even locally made.
- Safeway– Near a Safeway? Look for Cold Mountain Mellow White Miso or Roland Shiro Miso.
- Kroger – Your Kroger store should have a few different options, like Miso Master and Cold Mountain.
- Publix – Miso Master and Cold Mountain are also at Publix stores.
- Asian Markets– For sure, Asian markets will sell some miso (and probably white miso). You might be able to find it a bit cheaper in an Asian market than in supermarkets.
Great Ways to Use Miso
Make Vegan Miso Soup
You can use any miso in vegan miso soup. You’ll have a milder, sweeter soup if you choose to use white miso (versus red miso). It’s a perfect light lunch or appetizer.
Tofu is a common ingredient in miso soup and if you want to level up your recipe, consider pressing the tofu before cooking it. If you’re looking for a guide on what tofu press to buy, you can check our picks for the best tofu press.
Also, Check Out: Where to Find Spring Roll Wrappers in the Grocery Store
There are tons of different salad dressings to make with miso, from vegan Caesar dressing to this phenomenal carrot-ginger-miso dressing. The miso adds a rich umami element that you’ll notice once you start using it.
You Might Also Like: Where to Find Star Anise in the Grocery Store
Up Your Vegan Mac and Cheese Game with It
Miso is a secret weapon in vegan mac and cheese. Its depth of flavor takes savory “cheese” sauces to the next level. Mellow white miso is usually recommended, but any type works.
Once you open your miso, you’ll need to know how to store it. Please take a look at our guide to storing miso paste after it’s been opened.
See Also: Where to Find Sumac in the Grocery Store
Hey, I’m Joey. I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid and love everything about it. You can find my writing about food, kitchen appliances (such as blenders) and much more. Thanks for stopping by!