We'll show you exactly which stores to check and tell you which aisles to look in. In case you don't feel like running to the store, we'll also give you a list of our favorite miso.
Click any of the links in the below table to see our recommended miso.
If You're Searching for Organic
If You're Trying to Avoid MSG
If You're Looking for GMO-Free
If You Want Something Shelf-Stable
If You're Looking for Something Vitamin-Rich
If You Want Something Easy to Store
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Miso In?
In many big supermarkets, miso of all colors is kept in the produce area with the tofu, tempeh and mock meats. The same is true of red miso, yellow miso and any other type.
If you don't see it there, look for an organic or natural foods aisle. Since miso is typically refrigerated, you should find it in a cooler.
It is possible to find shelf-stable miso in the grocery store. Usually, you'll see these types of miso in the aisle with Asian products.
Can't find the tempeh section? Check out this post on where to buy tempeh.
Still having trouble finding white miso? Check the stores below. One of these is probably your best bet...
Also Check Out: Where to Find Soy Lecithin in the Grocery Store
What Stores Sell Miso?
- Amazon - Sometimes the easiest solution is to get what you've been searching for on Amazon, the site that has pretty much everything (including red miso red miso and white miso). Plus, you can shop around for the best price and buy in bulk to save money.
- Walmart - You can also buy bulk white miso or bulk red miso from Walmart either online or in person. Otherwise, there are other options in the stores. Use the store locator on Walmart's website to see availability in different locations.
- Whole Foods - Whole Foods has refrigerated Miso Master products. Check the jarred food area of the produce section with items like fermented veggies or wherever the mock meats are kept.
- Your Local Health Food Store - Most independent natural food stores should stock some type of miso, perhaps even locally made.
- Safeway - Near a Safeway? Look for Cold Mountain Mellow White Miso or Roland Shiro Miso.
- Kroger - Your Kroger store should have a few different options, like Miso Master and Cold Mountain.
- Publix - Miso Master and Cold Mountain are also at Publix stores.
- Asian Markets - For sure, Asian markets will sell some kind of miso (and probably white miso). You might be able to find it a bit cheaper in an Asian market than in supermarkets.
Great Ways to Use Miso
Make Vegan Miso Soup
You can use any type of miso in vegan miso soup. If you choose to use white miso (versus red miso), you'll have a milder, sweeter soup. It's a perfect light lunch or appetizer.
Tofu is a common ingredient in miso soup and if you want to level up your recipe, consider pressing the tofu before cooking it. If you're looking for a guide on what tofu press to buy, you can check out our picks for best tofu press.
Also Check Out: Where to Find Spring Roll Wrappers in the Grocery Store
There are tons of different salad dressings to make with miso, from vegan Caesar dressing to this phenomenal carrot-ginger-miso dressing. The miso adds a rich umami element that you'll definitely notice once you start using it.
You Might Also Like: Where to Find Star Anise in the Grocery Store
Up Your Vegan Mac and Cheese Game with It
Miso is a secret weapon in vegan mac and cheese. Its depth of flavor takes savory "cheese" sauces to the next level. A mellow white miso is usually recommended, but any type works.
Once you open your miso, you'll need to know how to store it. Take a look at our guide to storing miso paste after it's been opened.
See Also: Where to Find Sumac in the Grocery Store