Searching high and low in the grocery store for star anise? Here are the aisles you should be checking...
We'll also tell you which stores are most likely to carry it...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Star Anise In?
Look in the spice aisle first for star anise. It may be ground or in whole spice form, but it should be in the same racks as all the other spices.
If it's not there, check the international aisle. It could be in a small plastic package on the shelves with Asian, Latin or Indian products.
Lastly, check the bulk spice section. If all else fails, head straight to one of the stores listed below—they'll have what you're looking for...
What Stores Sell Star Anise?
- Amazon - Buying from Amazon is the quickest solution if you've struggled to find star anise locally. You can usually get it more cheaply by the pound or in any form you need for your cooking and baking.
- Walmart - Walmart sells whole and ground star anise from brands like Morton & Bassett, Frontier Co-op and Hoosier Hill Farm. What's available for pick-up and shipping can vary, so check the store locator online.
- Your Local Health Food Store - Look in the spice aisle and the bulk bins for star anise at any chain or independent health food store.
- Whole Foods - You can definitely find star anise at Whole Foods. Keep an eye out for the store brand as well as Spicely and Frontier Co-op.
- Target - The spice aisle at Target will have Badia star anise in plastic pouches.
- Safeway - Check Safeway for Morton & Bassett, Spicely and Badia.
- Kroger - Kroger also carries Frontier Co-op, Badia, The Spice Hunter and other brands.
- Publix - Near a Publix supermarket? The usual brands are also available there.
- Ethnic Markets - Indian and Latin markets are safe bets for star anise.
- Asian Markets - If there's an Asian market in your neighborhood, it'll likely stock the whole spice.
Great Ways to Use Star Anise
Make Vegan Pho
You need star anise to make pho, so if you have the spice, why not make a delicious pot of vegan pho? It's a gorgeous, richly flavored soup, savory, bright and super satisfying.
Make a Vanilla Soy Chai Latte with It
If you want to make the best chai tea latte ever, you need to start with the right spices. Simmer star anise with cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon and ginger for the tastiest results.
Cook Rice with It
One way to get rice to taste absolutely amazing is to cook it with fragrant spices. Star anise will produce a robust rice to serve with curry or as a side with grilled tofu and sauteed veggies.