Searching high and low in the grocery store for star anise?
We'll also tell you which stores are most likely to carry it. If you don't have time to make a trip to the store, you can click on the links below to snag some online, as well.
If You Need Various Size Options
If You're Looking for Budget-Friendly
If You're a Tea Lover
If You're Looking for Bulk
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Star Anise In?
Look in the spice aisle first for star anise. It may be ground or in whole spice form, but it should be in the same racks as all the other spices.
If it's not there, check the international aisle.
Lastly, check the bulk spice section.
What Stores Sell Star Anise?
- Amazon - Buying from Amazon is the quickest solution if you've struggled to find star anise locally. You can usually get it more cheaply by the pound or in any form you need for your cooking and baking.
- Walmart - Walmart sells whole and ground star anise from brands like Morton & Bassett, Frontier Co-op and Hoosier Hill Farm. What's available for pick-up and shipping can vary, so check the store locator online.
- Your Local Health Food Store - Look in the spice aisle and the bulk bins for star anise at any chain or independent health food store.
- Whole Foods - You can definitely find star anise at Whole Foods. Keep an eye out for the store brand as well as Spicely and Frontier Co-op.
- Target - The spice aisle at Target will have Badia star anise in plastic pouches.
- Safeway - Check Safeway for Morton & Bassett, Spicely and Badia.
- Kroger - Kroger also carries Frontier Co-op, Badia, The Spice Hunter and other brands.
- Publix - Near a Publix supermarket? The usual brands are also available there.
- Ethnic Markets - Indian and Latin markets are safe bets for star anise.
- Asian Markets - If there's an Asian market in your neighborhood, it'll likely stock the whole spice.
Great Ways to Use Star Anise
Make Vegan Pho
You need star anise to make pho, so if you have the spice, why not make a delicious pot of vegan pho?
Make a Vanilla Soy Chai Latte with It
If you want to make the best chai tea latte ever, you need to start with the right spices. Simmer star anise with cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon and ginger for the tastiest results.
And be sure to check out these cast iron teapots for that latte!
You Might Also Like: Where to Find Tamarind Paste in the Grocery Store
Cook Rice with It
One way to get rice to taste absolutely amazing is to cook it with fragrant spices. tofu