At the grocery store looking for the tempeh? Here are the aisles you should be checking...
We'll also tell you which stores are most likely to carry it...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Tempeh In?
Tempeh will usually be sitting in a cooler next to or near the tofu in the produce section. This is true for regular tempeh, tempeh "bacon" and seasoned tempeh products.
The second place to check is the natural food or vegan/vegetarian aisle. Sometimes grocery stores have vegan foods together in one spot. It'll be refrigerated.
Depending on where you're shopping, you could find tempeh with the frozen goods. Look wherever the vegan and vegetarian options are kept.
These spots are pretty much always where the tempeh is. If you're striking out, ask an employee if the store you're looking in stocks it.
Otherwise, use our store guide below and you'll find it in no time...
What Stores Sell Tempeh?
- Whole Foods - Every Whole Foods should sell tempeh (next to the tofu in the produce area). You should find brands like Lightlife, Soy Boy and others.
- Amazon - Doing a little online shopping at Amazon? You can add tempeh products like Lightlife Fakin' Bacon to your shopping cart.
- Walmart - Your Walmart should have some type of tempeh by the fruits and veggies. Use the website store locator to look up what's available in your area.
- Your Local Health Food Store - If the supermarkets don't seem to have tempeh, your local health food store will. This includes small, independent shops and chain stores.
- Trader Joe's - Trader Joe's offers its own branded tempeh products, which should be around the tofu and mock meats.
- Target - Target may have Lightlife Organic Tempeh, but check the store locator for availability near you.
- Safeway - Safeway should have regular Lightlife tempeh, if not other tempeh brands and products.
- Kroger - If you're passing by a Kroger, swing in for Lightlife or Surata tempeh.
- Publix - Check Publix for different kinds of tempeh, including Tofurkey Smokey Maple Bacon Marinated Strips.
- Asian Markets - Asian markets typically sell tempeh, whether it's in the freezer or in a cooler.
Great Ways to Use Tempeh
Go for a Stir-Fry
Whether it's sweet and spicy tempeh or sesame tempeh that you're making, you're going to have delicious results. If you've watched the video and you're wondering why you'd need to boil the tempeh, you don't have to—but it will make it super tender and juicy. It's a little culinary secret.
Use It in a TLT (Tempeh, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich)
The reason there are so many fake bacons with tempeh out there is because tempeh has the perfect texture for it. Pan-fry some marinated tempeh and pile on the juicy tomatoes, crisp lettuce and vegan mayo for a killer sandwich.
Make Tempeh Adobo
This vegan recipe is inspired by Filipino adobo, a type of marinated dish. With brown rice, tempeh and broccoli, you've got all the building blocks of an energy-boosting meal here. Most importantly—it's super tasty.