Trying to figure out where to find tamari in the grocery store? Here are the aisles you should be checking...
We'll also tell you which stores typically carry it...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Tamari In?
The best place to start looking for tamari is in the international aisle. You'll most likely find it with Asian products near soy sauce, hoisin sauce and other condiments.
The condiment aisle is another location you might find tamari in. If not, you can check any vegetarian and vegan food aisle.
If all else fails, try the spice aisle. Still can't find it? Check our store guide below...
What Stores Sell Tamari?
- Amazon - Need to find tamari fast? You can definitely get it on Amazon. If you use tamari often in your cooking, look for tamari by the gallon, which is usually cheaper.
- Walmart - Walmart stocks San-J, Eden and Yamasa in the condiment area. Use the store locator on Walmart's website to see what you can buy in any store and online.
- Whole Foods - You'll see tamari with the Asian foods in the international aisle at Whole Foods.
- Your Local Health Food Store - Tamari should be pretty easy to find in any health food store. Check by condiments and Asian products.
- Safeway - Look for Kikkoman, San-J and other brands in the international aisle at Safeway.
- Albertsons - If you go to an Albertson's, look in the international aisle for Kikkoman, San-J and Signature Kitchens.
- Publix - Publix also keeps tamari in the international section.
- Kroger - Kroger sells San-J, Simple Truth and Eden tamari.
- Asian Markets - You should be able to pick up a bottle of tamari at your neighborhood Asian market.
Great Ways to Use Tamari
Use It in Salad Dressings
Many of us fall into a rut with salad dressings, making or buying the same ones over and over again. If you haven't made a tamari salad dressing with spicy ginger yet, you're going to want to try it for salads, wraps and even roasted veggies.
Season Mock Meats with It
Tamari gives mock meats that perfect umami quality. Use a dash in tempeh bacon or any tofu, seitan or nut mock meat recipe. If you're adding it to a recipe you've made before, make sure you adjust the seasonings for the saltiness in the tamari.
Add It to Soups and Sauces
For everything from stir-fry sauces to vegetable soups, have some tamari in the cabinet. Just like mock meats, soups and sauces get a huge flavor boost from the savoriness of tamari. Try it and see!