Not sure where to find saffron in the grocery store? We'll tell you which aisles to look in...
You'll also find out which stores typically carry it...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Saffron In?
If you're looking for saffron, check the spice aisle first. If you don't see it in the spice rack, check around on the shelves for a container of saffron. It could be placed elsewhere with specialty seasonings.
However, saffron is sometimes kept in the international aisle. Look for bagged saffron—spices in the kinds of containers McCormick uses are typically in the spice aisle.
It's possible that you could find saffron in the bulk spice aisle, but as it's expensive, don't be surprised if it's not there. Don't worry—you can still get bulk saffron online.
Not every store will have saffron, but many do. Generally speaking, you can buy saffron at one of the stores below...
What Stores Sell Saffron?
- Amazon - With Amazon, you can narrow down which brand and type of saffron you want, checking for prices and quality. This is also a great spot to get bulk saffron.
- Walmart - You can grab McCormick All Natural Spanish Saffron at Walmart, but other brands may be available as well. Use the website's store locator to see what's stocked in each store.
- Whole Foods - You've got a few different choices at Whole Foods, including 365 Everyday Value Spanish Saffron and Frontier Co-op Saffron Threads.
- Your Local Health Food Store - Health food stores frequently sell saffron. They may or may not offer it in bulk, but sometimes you can ask if they'll special order you bulk saffron and cut you a deal.
- Safeway - Safeway sells Badia, Spice Island and McCormick saffron threads.
- Trader Joe's - Shopping at Trader Joe's? Look in the spice aisle for Trader Joe's Spanish Saffron.
- Kroger - Your Kroger store should also have some type of saffron, whether it's McCormick or Spice Island.
- Publix - Publix supermarkets stock Badia and Vigo for saffron brands.
- Ethnic Markets - Indian and Latin markets are good places to check for saffron threads.
Great Ways to Use Saffron
Make Vegan Paella
Paella is a traditional saffron dish, but it's not usually vegan is it tends to contain meat and seafood. This paella recipe has no animal products in it whatsoever, and it's fabulous with roasted red peppers, fragrant garlic and floral, aromatic saffron.
Make Vegan Rasmalai
Rasmalai is an Indian dessert of sweet cheese in a creamy, spiced sauce. This vegan version uses cashews instead of dairy. Truly, this is a luxurious experience. The delicate flavors of saffron, cardamom and rose water just melt on the palate.
Use It in Pasta
Saffron is more versatile than many people realize. It can go in your dessert recipes, your dinner and more. Even if all you're making is some pasta with tomato sauce, saffron can make it special.