Trying to figure out where they keep the rock salt in the grocery store? We'll show you which aisles to check...
We'll also tell you which stores are most likely to carry it...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Rock Salt In?
First, you need to know about the different types of rock salt. There's an edible kind, and then there's the kind that definitely should not be eaten.
One type of inedible rock salt is combined with chemicals and used for melting ice and snow. It's sold at home improvement stores and some supermarkets. However, it shouldn't be near the food products.
There's also a type of rock salt for an cream maker. It's meant for use in the machine (to make the ice cream colder faster), not in the ice cream itself. You don't want to eat this kind of salt, either.
The only rock salt you can eat is the kind clearly labeled for human consumption. It may or may not be called "rock salt," but it'll be the coarse kind, like large-granule sea salt or Himalayan pink salt.
These salt varieties are easy to find in the spice aisle of the grocery store. They'll usually be on a shelf with specialty seasonings.
They might also be in the bulk section. If you haven't spotted them yet, use our store guide below to find out which stores sell edible rock salt...
What Stores Sell Rock Salt?
- Your Local Health Food Store - Whether you live near a chain natural food store or a small, independent one, you'll probably find rock salt for eating. Many health food stores offer it in bulk.
- Amazon - If you want bulk rock salt, try Amazon. You can buy five-pound bags of pink Himalayan salt as well as tons of other rock salt products.
- Walmart - Look for Natierra Himalania Himalayan Pink Salt in the spice aisle of Walmart. The online store locator will show you information on pricing and availability in different stores. Just be sure that you're looking up edible rock salt and not the ice-melting kind.
- Whole Foods - Whole Foods carries a variety of Himalayan rock salts as well as Tidman's Natural Rock Salt.
- Safeway - If you need coarse salt, Safeway sells Morton Coarse Kosher Salt as well as Frontier Himalayan Pink Salt.
- Target - Target is another great stop for Morton Coarse Kosher Salt and Olde Thompson Himalayan Pink Salt in the spice section.
- Trader Joe's - Trader Joe's has all kinds of salt, from pink salt to large Sea Salt Crystals.
- Kroger - If you shop at Kroger, look for Morton Coarse Sea Salt or Private Selection Pink Himalayan Salt.
- Publix - Publix sells several coarse salt brands, including Badia, Morton and Alessi.
Great Ways to Use Rock Salt
Make Your Own Seasoning Salts
You don't have to hunt around in the store for the perfect seasoning salt when you can make it at home. This opens the door to a whole lot of new flavors! The recipe in this video is a great everyday seasoning salt for anything from tofu scramble to soup.
Use It as a Salt Rim for Drinks
Whether you're making mocktails or cocktails, if you need a salt rim, coarse salt is the best option. You can even use seasoned salts to make your beverages extra fancy.
Make Vegan Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sprinkling coarse sea salt on top of desserts is a long-time tradition in the culinary world. These vegan salted chocolate chip cookies will go fast, so make extra. Try salting vegan caramels, vegan ice cream and any dessert you like.