Looking for pomegranate seeds in the grocery store? Here are the aisles you should be checking...
You'll also find out which stores are most likely to carry them...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Are Pomegranate Seeds In?
If your grocery store carries pomegranate seeds, you should find them in the produce aisles. They may be sold in bags or plastic clamshell containers.
Alternatively, you can buy whole pomegranates and harvest the seeds at home. This can be worthwhile when you don't see the seeds sold separately.
Sometimes you'll have better luck finding pomegranate seeds in the frozen aisle. Check the freezers with the fruits or possibly even the frozen organic section.
Your last resort may be dried pomegranate seeds. Look in the aisle with the dried fruits and nuts for these.
Not seeing pomegranate seeds anywhere? Seasonality can play a role, but the stores listed below are known to sell them...
What Stores Sell Pomegranate Seeds?
- Whole Foods - Whole Foods is an excellent place to look for pomegranate seeds. They should be in plastic containers with the sliced fruit in the produce section.
- Your Local Health Food Store - If your local health food store doesn't have packages of pomegranate seeds, it will likely have whole pomegranates when they're in season.
- Amazon - Amazon offers dried pomegranate seeds, often in bulk for lower prices.
- Walmart - Some Walmart stores sell pomegranate seeds and whole fruits. The company's store locator will show you what's available in stores and online.
- Target - Head to the freezers at Target for Market Pantry Pomegranate Seeds or to the produce area for Pom pomegranate seeds when they're in season.
- Safeway - Safeway carries Juicy Gems, Pom and other brands of pomegranate seeds in the packaged fruit area.
- Trader Joe's - You can often find the store brand of pomegranate seeds at any Trader Joe's location.
- Kroger - Kroger stores offer pomegranate seeds fresh or frozen.
- Publix - Check Publix for whole pomegranates as well as pomegranate seeds.
- Ethnic Markets - Ethnic markets are good spots to check for various types of pomegranate products.
- Asian Markets - Asian markets may sell pomegranate seeds either fresh or dried.
Great Ways to Use Pomegranate Seeds
Use Them in Salads
Any green, grain or pulse salad will get a flavor boost from pomegranate seeds. Sweet and juicy, pomegranate seeds complement savory, salty, tart and bitter flavors, so you have a lot of leeway when combining salad ingredients.
Make Pomegranate Juice
Whether you're starting out with whole pomegranates or the packaged seeds, you can make delicious, fresh pomegranate juice. Have a refreshing glass in the morning or add it to your smoothies. Or make pomegranate popsicles!
Use Them in Guacamole
There are tons of foods you'd never think to add pomegranate seeds to, but once you do, it opens up a whole lot of options. Start with creamy guac and vegan dips, and then get creative with soups, stir-fries and your tried-and-true recipes.