Searching all over the grocery store for okra? Here are the aisles you should be checking...
We'll also tell you which stores are most likely to carry it...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Okra In?
Check the produce area first for fresh okra. If you don't see it there, head to the freezer aisle with frozen vegetables.
Note that you may also buy fresh okra and store them for later use. Check out our guide to freezing okra.
Canned or jarred okra can often be found in the canned vegetable aisle, but you may even see it in the condiment aisle near the pickles.
Having a hard time finding okra? Check out our store guide below...
What Stores Sell Okra?
- Amazon - You can find fresh okra as well as canned and pickled okra on Amazon. There are tons of options here—you can even get okra chips on Amazon.
- Walmart - Walmart sells fresh okra in the produce section, frozen okra in the frozen vegetable aisle and assorted okra products, including okra pickles. Use the store locator on Walmart's website to find out what's available in stores and online.
- Whole Foods - Look for fresh and canned okra in the produce and canned goods aisles of Whole Foods.
- Safeway - Check the produce aisle for fresh okra at Safeway. If you're looking for pickled okra, look in the condiment aisle.
- Trader Joe's - Many Trader Joe's stores offer various okra products (they'll just vary from store to store).
- Target - Check the freezer aisle at Target for frozen okra.
- Kroger - You'll see fresh and frozen okra at Kroger.
- Publix - Publix stores offer fresh, frozen or canned okra.
- Ethnic Markets - You can often find okra at Indian, African and Middle Eastern markets.
- Asian Markets - Look for fresh okra at you local Asian market.
Great Ways to Use Okra
Use It in Soups and Stews
Fresh or frozen okra will make hearty vegan stews. For a good mix of contrasting textures in brothy soups, combine it with a chewy grain like bulgur and vegetables with a nice snap to them. Or try adding okra to your favorite curry or vegan chili recipe.
Fry It in the Oven
Switch up your French fries and try oven-fried okra instead. These okra "chips" are crunchy on the outside, tender on the inside and 100 percent delicious.
Serve It with Grits
A bowl of creamy vegan grits is the perfect vehicle for okra. Saute sliced okra pieces and layer them on top or mix them right into the grits. If you have leftovers, you can bake them and make okra polenta cakes.