It's common for grocery stores to stock mirin in the international aisle. Look on the shelves with Asian products.
The next place to check is the oil and vinegar aisle. Mirin is a rice wine condiment, but since it's often used with ingredients like rice vinegar, some grocery stores put these items near one another.
If you haven't seen mirin in these aisles, look in the condiment and spice aisles. It may be close to the sauces or somewhere around spice mixes and liquid seasonings.
Struggling to find mirin? Our store guide below will help you find it...
What Stores Sell Mirin?
- Amazon - You'll find plenty of mirin options on Amazon. The great thing about this site (besides convenient shopping) is that you have access to a variety of vendors, products and prices.
- Walmart - Walmart offers mirin from well-known brands like Kikkoman. Use the store locator on the company website to find out what's available in different locations.
- Whole Foods - Whole Foods tends to keep mirin in the international and condiment aisles.
- Your Local Health Food Store - Many independent natural food stores sell mirin, possibly in the aisles with vinegars.
- Safeway - At a Safeway? Look for mirin in the spices and seasonings aisle as well as the aisle with oils and vinegars.
- Target - Target carries Kikkoman Manjo Aji-Mirin in the section with cooking oils and vinegars.
- Kroger - If you're at a Kroger store, check the condiment, spice and international aisles for Eden, Sun Luck, Kikkoman and Morita Jozo.
- Publix - At Publix you can find mirin with the oils and vinegars.
- Asian Markets - You should be able to pick up mirin at your neighborhood Asian markets.
Make Teriyaki Sauce
Teriyaki sauce is a rather ubiquitous and delicious sauce used for anything from marinated tofu to crispy cauliflower bites like the ones in this video. It's perfectly balanced between sweet, tangy and savory flavors, and a dash of mirin will give it a really well-rounded quality.
For a better tasting or more flavor-dense marinated tofu, consider pressing the tofu first before throwing it in the recipe. We've listed best tofu press as well in case you're new to pressing tofu and want to buy one.