Searching for fresh basil at the grocery store? Here are the aisles you should be checking...
You'll also find out which stores are most likely to carry it...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Fresh Basil In?
If a grocery store carries fresh basil, you'll spot it in the produce area the vast majority of the time. It may be bagged, bunched or in plastic containers. You may also see potted basil plants.
Sometimes grocery stores put potted herbs in the front of the store. Look in indoor and outdoor displays with flowers and garden plants.
If you haven't been seeing any fresh basil in the supermarket, try one of the stores below...
You Might Also Like: Where to Find Epsom Salt in the Grocery Store
What Stores Sell Fresh Basil?
- Farmers Markets - Depending on where you live, farmers markets may be seasonal, but they typically offer fresh basil. You may get cut basil or whole plants, and usually you can find various varieties, like lemon basil and dark opal basil.
- Amazon - Looking for fresh Thai basil? You can order it on Amazon. You can also buy live basil plants to have fresh herbs any day of the week.
- Walmart - Head to Walmart for a basil plant or cut basil leaves in the produce section.
- Lowe's - Lowe's may not have cut basil, but it sells basil plants in the gardening area. Check Home Depot, too.
- Whole Foods - Whole Foods should definitely have fresh basil in the fruit and veggie aisles.
- Safeway - If you're near a Safeway, stop in for O Organics or Jacob's Farm Organic Fresh Basil.
- Trader Joe's - Trader Joe's sells fresh basil in large and small containers.
- Kroger - A Kroger store should stock organic basil from Simple Truth.
- Publix - At Publix supermarkets, you might see hydroponic basil, or at least some type of fresh basil.
- Ethnic Markets - Ethnic markets are good places to check for all kinds of produce items, including herbs like basil.
- Asian Markets - Asian markets often sell Thai basil.
Also Read: Where to Find Farro in the Grocery Store
Great Ways to Use Fresh Basil
Make Vegan Pesto
Think of all the delicious vegan pesto you can make with a big bag of fresh basil leaves. If you have access to different varieties of basil, each type will add a slightly different twist, and each is equally good. Freeze your homemade pesto to make it last longer.
Make Vegan Caprese Salad
A plant-based caprese salad makes a refreshing lunch on a hot summer afternoon. This recipe combines the robust flavors of fresh basil leaves, smoked vegan mozzarella and green tomatoes.
Also Related: Where to Find Fish Sauce in the Grocery Store
Infuse Oils with It
Basil oil is essentially a flavorful drizzling oil to add to salads, pasta and any dish you see fit. Store it in the refrigerator and use it up within a few days for best quality.
Here's a Related Article For You: Where to Find Garam Masala in the Grocery Store