Searching everywhere in the grocery store for garam masala? Here are the aisles you should be checking...
We'll also tell you which stores are most likely to carry it...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Garam Masala In?
The number one location for garam masala in most grocery stores is the spice aisle. You should find it in the spice rack with all the other spices, herbs and seasonings.
If you didn't find garam masala in the spice aisle, check the international aisle. It might be stocked with the Indian products.
And if there's a bulk spice section in your grocery store, you may be able to get garam masala there in customized quantities.
Can't seem to find it anywhere? The stores listed below are known to carry garam masala...
What Stores Sell Garam Masala?
- Amazon - Amazon is one of the best sources for hard-to-find pantry items. Search through multiple vendors' inventories for garam masala at different prices. Tip: Bulk spices are usually less expensive.
- Walmart - At Walmart you can pick up McCormick, Badia, Morton & Bassett and other brands of garam masala in the spice aisle. Use the online store locator to find product availability in each location.
- Whole Foods - Headed to Whole Foods? Look for garam masala in the bulk spice section or buy it bottled from Spicely or Simply Organic.
- Your Local Health Food Store - Independent health food stores often have lots of different bulk spices and spice blends, including garam masala.
- Safeway - Safeway carries McCormick, Simply Organic, Spicely and other brands.
- Target - At Target you can buy Simply Balanced or Swad garam masala in the spices and seasonings area.
- Kroger - Near a Kroger store? Look for Private Selection, McCormick, Frontier and Kohinoor in the spice aisle.
- Publix - There are several options in the spice aisles of Publix supermarkets.
- Indian Markets - If you pop into an Indian market, you'll definitely find garam masala.
Great Ways to Use Garam Masala
Make Chana Masala
Chana masala is a staple in many vegan homes. It's a tomato-based chickpea curry that tends to be one of the vegan options on Indian restaurant menus. If you love chana masala, try other Indian recipes with garam masala like vegan saag aloo, aloo gobi and dal.
Make Vegan Japanese Curry
Have you ever tried a vegan Japanese curry? It's similar to Indian curry with spices like garam masala, and yet it's something totally different. If you're a fan of Indian flavors and fusion recipes, give this one a try.
Use It in Soups
For warming winter soups, garam masala is a good spice to keep on hand. It's excellent in rich, creamy vegan soups with hearty veggies like cauliflower, potatoes and carrots.