Trying to figure out where they keep the dates in the grocery store? Here are the aisles to look in...
We'll also tell you which stores tend to carry them...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Are Dates In?
You'll probably want to start in the aisle with the dried fruits and nuts. This could be the snack area, but it could also be a separate aisle.
If you don't see dates with the dried fruits, look in the produce area. Many times, grocery stores put dried dates in displays around the fruit aisles.
There's a chance that you'll find fresh dates in the produce section, but it really depends on which store you're shopping in (we'll show you which ones you'll have success in below).
Your last stop is the bulk aisle. But if you're still not seeing dates, our store guide will help you find them...
Related Article: Where to Buy Crystallized Ginger in the Grocery Store
What Stores Sell Dates?
- Amazon - Shop around on Amazon for different kinds of dates. You'll find sweet medjool dates, deglet noor dates and, most likely, bulk deals.
- Walmart - Look for Great Value Pitted Dates, Sunsweet Dates and other brands in the dried fruit and veggie aisle of Walmart. The store locator on the company website will help you track which items are available in stores and online.
- Your Local Health Food Store - You might find bulk dried dates at your local natural food store. If not, look for packaged dates with the dried fruits.
- Whole Foods - Whole Foods shoppers can pick up 365 Everyday Value Pitted Dates as well as a variety of brands.
- Target - At a Target? Check the dried fruit aisle of the grocery section for Simply Balanced Organic Pitted Deglet Noor Dates.
- Safeway - Safeway stocks Sunsweet and Signature Kitchens dates.
- Trader Joe's - Usually, you can find store brand dates at Trader Joe's, whether they're medjool or deglet noor dates.
- Kroger - Kroger sells Sun-Maid and Mariani dates.
- Publix - At Publix, you can get store-brand dried dates, but you might actually be able to get fresh dates, too.
- Farmers Markets - If you live in an area where dates are grown, check farmers markets when they're in season.
- Ethnic Markets - Ethnic markets may also have fresh dates, especially Middle Eastern markets.
You Might Also Like: Where to Buy Currants in the Grocery Store
Great Ways to Use Dates
Make Date Syrup
Looking for a vegan sweetener you can use in absolutely anything? Try date syrup. Basically, you just make a reduction sauce with dates and water. It's sweet, delicious and ready to be used in recipes or drizzled on top of oatmeal in the morning.
You Might Also Like: Where to Buy Fennel Seeds in the Grocery Store
Make Vegan Caramel
Dates have a natural caramel flavor, so they're ideal for vegan caramel. You don't even need to cook them—just whir them in a blender with a few simple ingredients to make raw caramel sauce that rivals any less-than-healthy caramel recipe out there.
Related Article: Where to Buy Flaxseed Oil in the Grocery Store
Use Them in Chutney
You don't have to use dates for sweet recipes only. They make great additions to all kinds of savory recipes. Looking for an easy starting point? Make a date chutney or sauce and serve it with grilled tofu, roasted cauliflower or any meal you like.y
Also Related: Where to Buy Nutritional Yeast in Bulk