Trying to figure out where to find currants in the grocery store? Here are the aisles to look in...
We'll also tell you which stores are most likely to carry them. You can also click on the links in our table to purchase them online from the comfort of your own home.
If You Don't Want Preservatives
If You're Looking for Non-GMO
If You Don't Want Any Added Sugars
If You're Looking for a Tasty Spread
If You Want to Make Currant Tea
Which Grocery Store Aisle Are Currants In?
Currants are usually available in grocery stores on a seasonal basis. If it's currant season, look in the produce aisle for fresh or dried currants in plastic clamshell containers.
They may also be sold in the bulk area or the aisle with dried fruits and nuts. If they're not on a shelf, they may be sitting by themselves in a display case.
Not seeing them anywhere? Use our store guide below...
Related Article: Where to Buy Crystallized Ginger in the Grocery Store
What Stores Sell Currants?
- Amazon - On Amazon, you can get products like Zante currants (like small raisins) and black currant puree. Seasonality will probably play a role in whether you can order fresh currants on Amazon.
- Walmart - You'll find Zante currants from Farmers Union, Sun-Maid and other brands through Walmart. The store locator on the company website will show you what you can buy online and in stores.
- Whole Foods - Whole Foods is known to sell fresh and dried currants in the produce and bulk aisles when they're in season.
- Your Local Health Food Store - Many specialty items can be found in health food stores, including fresh or dried currants.
- Safeway - Safeway carries bulk and packaged Zante currants.
- Trader Joe's - Look for the store brand of dried black currants at Trader Joe's.
- Kroger - Check the dried fruit aisles of Kroger supermarkets for Sun-Maid Zante Currants.
- Wegmans - Wegmans also sells Sun-Maid Zante currants.
Also Read: Where to Buy Dates in the Grocery Store
Great Ways to Use Currants
Use Them in Vegan Cakes
Currants make lovely additions to all kinds of cakes. The dried fruit works best, but fresh currants can be used in recipes like this one for raw vegan black currant cake.
You Might Also Like: Where to Buy Fennel Seeds in the Grocery Store
Make Persian Rice
Like raisins, currants are often featured in spiced rice recipes. This Persian rice dish makes a filling and delicious meal with currants, dates, lentils and sauteed onions.
Related Article: Where to Buy Flaxseed Oil in the Grocery Store
Add Them to Breads
Any cinnamon raisin bread, pumpkin bread or old fashioned banana bread recipe can be upgraded with currants. You can also add a hint of earthy sweetness to a loaf of whole wheat bread with a handful of dried currants.
Also Related: Where to Buy Nutritional Yeast in Bulk