Searching for cream of tartar in the grocery store? We'll show you exactly which aisles you should be checking...
We'll also tell you which stores tend to carry it...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Cream of Tartar In?
If you're at the grocery store, the cream of tartar will be in the baking aisle. Look in the spice rack for a jar or plastic container that would hold your typical spices like cinnamon and cumin.
It may also be in a larger tin in the baking aisle near the spices, salts and seasoning blends. The baking aisle is pretty much always where it will be, even if it's not sitting in the spice rack.
If you're having trouble locating it, check one of the stores below—they're known to carry cream of tartar...
What Stores Sell Cream of Tartar?
- Amazon - Not only can you buy many different cream of tartar brands on Amazon, you can buy it in bulk. Purchased this way, it's usually cheaper.
- Walmart - Walmart sells Great Value Cream of Tartar as well as a number of other brands. The website's store locator will help you figure out what's available in each store.
- Whole Foods - Is Whole Foods your grocery store? Check out 365 Everyday Value Cream of Tartar.
- Target - Target's brand Simply Balanced offers cream of tartar. You'll also see Market Pantry and McCormick in the baking aisle.
- Safeway - Among other brands, you'll find Safeway Kitchens Cream of Tartar at Safeway.
- Kroger - At Kroger stores you can pick up Kroger Cream of Tartar as well as Spice Island and McCormick.
- Stop & Shop - If you live near a Stop & Shop, look for McCormick or Frontier Co-op Cream of Tartar.
- Publix - Publix supermarkets carry McCormick Cream of Tartar.
Great Ways to Use Cream of Tartar
Make a Vegan Whipped Topping
Cream of tartar acts as a stabilizer in this vegan aquafaba whipped cream. If you haven't heard of aquafaba before, it's just the cooking liquid from chickpeas or other beans. If you open a can of chickpeas, the liquid inside is the stuff you want. Add this rich whipped topping to vegan cakes or put it on vegan waffles with fresh fruit.
Use It in Chewy Vegan Cookies
Cream of tartar is also a common ingredient in soft cookies like snickerdoodles. When combined with baking soda, it'll make your cookies nice and puffy with a soft, chewy texture.
Make Vegan Meringues
These vegan meringues are perfect. Just like in the vegan whipped topping, the secret ingredients are aquafaba and cream of tartar. To make them really pretty, add any vegan food coloring, like beet juice for lovely magenta meringues and matcha powder for green.