If you’ve ever been to an Indian restaurant, then you’ve enjoyed the unique and spice-laden pleasure of Indian cuisine before. After trying it once, you might be looking for a way to bring it into your own household to enjoy more often.
It’s important to note that saying, “Indian cooking” is kind of broad. There are many sub-regions in India, each with their own unique style of cooking. Generally, however, Indian cuisine requires a lot of grinding spices, making chutney, and making dosa batter.
We’ve created this article with the best blender for Indian cooking options in the United States. Keep reading to find out which ones we picked, as well as what makes a blender good for Indian cooking.
No time to read? Here’s a quick summary of our top picks:
Best Blenders for Indian Cooking
With 10 different speeds to choose from, you can easily perfect the texture of all of your foods that you are making.
Additionally, the pulse feature allows you to coarsely chop and break up items like spices or easily create chunky sauces or soups without any problem.
Thanks to the 48 ounce jar, you can easily blend a larger amount of food for your entire family without having to worry about working in batches, which can save you a lot of time in the kitchen. With a cord length of 4.5 feet, this blender can stretch from its outlet in the wall, making it very easy to maximize the countertop space in your kitchen.
Look how easy it is to make Dosa batter in a Vitamix blender:
- Cleaning the blender is easy; it’s self-cleaning with a drop of soap and water, which means no spice residue will be left behind.
- Stainless steel blades are made from aircraft-grade stainless steel and can easily stand up to the hardest ingredients without being damaged.
- Not only can you grind nuts and seeds, but you can also heat up soup and mix dough and Dosa batter in this blender, making it a true multi-tasker.
- Perfect for spice grinding.
- At 11.5 pounds, there are some users who have trouble lifting and moving the blender around in the kitchen.
- Some reports state that you need a lot of liquid to make sauces and batters.
Not only can you use this Nutribullet RX N17 blender hands-free so that you can keep working on other prep work in the kitchen while you are cooking, but, because it comes with a number of jars to choose from, you won’t have to stop and wash.
Additionally, there is a lid for one jar, so you can prep your food ahead of time and store it in the fridge.
This is a great way to decrease the amount of time that you spend cooking each day. Because the jars can hold up to 45 ounces, you can easily make large batches of sauce for your meals.
- Different size cups make it easy to choose the size that is perfect for your blending needs.
- Small enough that it doesn’t take up a lot of counter space or can be easily stored in a cupboard.
- Blends incredibly quickly and doesn’t require tamping of ingredients.
- Can make warm Indian soups.
- There are reports of the jars retaining odors if they aren’t cleaned right away.
- Some users have had issues with how loud the blender is.
- Users have reported that if there isn’t enough liquid in the jar, the blender will have problems blending.
- Many users have had problems trying to make rice idli batter or Dosa in this blender.
You may also be interested in this Nutribullet vs Ninja comparison. If you’re interested in buying a nutribullet but can’t decide which one to pick, check out my reviews for the best nutribullet options.
Related Article: 7 Best Blender for Acai Bowl Review & Buyer’s Guide
You can easily set this blender to run and then forget about it, making it easy to keep your hands on other things in the kitchen.
The five-sided jar works by actually pulling food towards the blade so that you don’t have to worry about using a tamper to make sure that everything is blended evenly, while the smaller four-sided jar is a great option if you want to grind Indian spices or grain.
Even the toughest ingredients can’t stand up to the strong and powerful blades. The large jar means you can make huge batches of dosa batter all at once.
- It’s easy to use the blender to make batter for dosa.
- Creamy and smooth chutneys are only a few seconds way.
- The blender can easily powder spices, nuts, and cereals.
- The powerful stainless steel blades can easily grind jaggery and break it down.
- Pre programmed cycles make it easy to create fresh drinks.
- Some users have reported that the blender is painfully loud.
- There are reports of food drying below the steel blades if the blender is not cleaned right away.
If you want to see an alternative from the same brand, you might wanna check my Blendtec Total Blender review.
You won’t have to worry about sauces or batters leaking out of the jar when you use this blender as the lid fits securely and snugly and won’t vibrate out of place when the blender is working.
Thanks to the 6-blade assembly, you will be able to easily blend ingredients and grind spices significantly faster than you can with other blenders.
The large jar isn’t just ideal for mixing up a huge batch of batter for your entire family, it is also very easy to clean and won’t retain odors or flavors when you are done with it, which can be a huge problem with some blenders.
- Everything is BPA free.
- All parts of the blender can be put in the dishwasher when you are done with them, making easy to clean up after cooking.
- Can blend into the large capacity 72-ounce pitcher or the personal blending cups.
- Has a robust 1100 watt motor which can easily chew through a variety of ingredients, including spices – making it a great substitute for an Indian mixer grinder.
- Some users have reported that this blender is painfully loud.
- There are reports of food drying below the blades if not cleaned immediately after cooking.
You Might Also Like: Best Blender for Chopping Vegetables
Not only can you stagger your blending, thanks to the pulse mode on this blender, but you can also quickly and easily liquify, puree, mix, chop, or stir with 5 pre programmed buttons.
The patented pitcher is designed so that it will not shatter, scratch, or stain, and it can be put into the dishwasher when you are done using the blender so that you don’t have to spend as much time cleaning up after yourself.
The motor control on this blender sets it apart, as it will sense the contents in the jar and maintain the best speed for powering through the ingredients.
Read Also: What’s the Best Blender for Daiquiris?
- The pitcher is one-piece, which will decrease the chance of spills or leaks.
- “Soft start” means that the motor gradually speeds up so that the food is pulled towards the blades.
- The powerful stainless steel blades can easily break down even the most fibrous vegetables.
- Has a die-cast metal base that’s simple to wipe clean after cooking.
- There are reports of some users having problems with the plastic jar retaining odors if it is not cleaned right away.
- Comes with a one-year warranty, which some users don’t think is long enough for blenders.
- Some users have struggled using this blender to blend or grind frozen food.
Unlike other blenders that have difficulty grinding small amounts of spices at a time, this blender can easily switch from grinding spices to powders to creating batters in a matter of minutes.
No matter how long you are going to use this blender to prep your meal, you don’t have to worry about it overheating, as it comes with a cool-running motor that will keep it nice and cool and prevent major problems.
Additionally, this blender is equipped with incredibly powerful stainless-steel blades that are designed to tackle even the hardest spices that you want to grind. It does a wonderful job blending, chopping, and emulsifying, as well.
- Variable speed control gives you perfect control over the blender.
- The large container is still small enough to allow the blender to be stored on the counter.
- Users love how easy it is to clean the blender, which prevents staining and odor retention.
- There are some reports of the blender refusing to blend, even though the cog is turning.
- Some users struggle with getting the blender to mix dough and thick batters.
Recommended Article: What’s the Best Blender for Grinding Spices?
If you’re looking for the best blender for Indian cooking, this blender could be one of the most versatile options. Unlike many of the other blenders on this list, it does come with a tamper, but it’s worth mentioning that the tamper is just an additional aid.
The heavy duty 1400 watt motor won’t necessarily need to use the tamper all that often. It’s extremely powerful, and many customers have reported that it can crush spices into a fine powder without breaking a sweat. This makes it a great option for Indian cooking, because its spice grinding capability can surely be translated to Indian spices.
One thing that sets it apart is its heating element. Because it can heat your Indian food, you can use it to make hot soups or sauces. This is one blender we couldn’t help but recommend.
- One of the most powerful and versatile blenders on this list.
- The motor has an strong 1400 watts that can handle grinding Indian spices to a fine powder.
- Has a large capacity 64 -ounce glass pitcher that can hold up to 56 ounces of cold liquid.
- Can be used for all sorts of kitchen tasks, including making frozen drinks, spice mixes, or ice cream.
- Includes a tamper and brush you can use to make cleaning a bit easier.
- Heating element makes it perfect for heating liquids and soups.
- The glass pitcher can be a bit heavy to hold.
- It can be a little finicky to clean because you can’t submerge it in water due to the heating element.
If you’re looking for other blender options for your soups, coffee, or hot beverages, check out our list for the best blender for hot liquids.
Read Also: Top 10 Best Blenders with Glass Pitchers
What to Look for When Buying a Blender for Indian Cooking
Perhaps the most important part of any blender is the motor or engine. Indian cooking often requires grinding Indian spices, or making complex dough and sauces.
These recipes require textures that can’t necessarily be achieved by the wrong blender. Quality blenders with high-power motors will have the strength to more finely crush various quantities of ingredients.
So if what you want is consistent results, make sure you check the wattage of each blender first. Vitamix is an example of a brand well-known for making great machines. However, they can often have a steep price because of their high-end features, so you can also check out other companies.
You may also be interested in our article on the Best Vitamix Alternative.
Easy to Clean Jar
In Indian cooking, the use of numerous spices, while delicious to smell, can leave a mess behind in many blenders. Thus, if any blender deserves to be called the best blender for Indian cooking, it must be prepared for that eventuality by being naturally simple to clean.
Some blenders will have automatic cleaning functions. With this self-cleaning technology, you can typically just add some soap and hot water to the blender, then run it. It will clean itself while it runs.
Otherwise, another thing to consider would be whether or not the blender is dishwasher-safe. If a blender has dishwasher-safe components, you can reduce your time spent cleaning by simply running it through your dishwasher afterward.
Finally, some of the best blenders come with cleaning tools to help simplify the task of cleanup. These blenders might include brushes you can use to safely scrub the blades without cutting yourself.
Further Reading: 11 Best Hot Liquid Blenders for Coffee Beverages and Soups
After the motor, surely the blades are the next most important part in any blender. If a blender is going to be considered the best blender for Indian cooking, it will also need to have a good blade design.
This makes perfect sense. The blades are what crush your ingredients, whether it’s spices, batter, veggies, or smoothies.
A quality blender will use quality materials in the blade design, such as stainless steel. Some really high-end blenders will have blades made from hardened or aircraft-grade steel. Vitamix is an example of a company that makes blender models like this.
Ninja is a brand well-known for creating blenders with a unique stacked blade design that’s also great for Indian cuisine. Some of their best models utilize a design in which the blades wrap around a central tower in the pitcher, allowing them to reach high up into piles of food. This means they leave fewer chunks behind, because they can reach all the ingredients.
You may also be interested in our picks for the best Ninja blender.
Because Indian cooking will require a wide variety of ingredients and recipes, you’ll need a blender with a bunch of speed settings to choose from. Blenders with a range of speed settings will come with controls that allow you to play with the blend texture.
One size definitely doesn’t fit all when it comes to blending. You’ll need to be able to tweak settings so you can smoothly blend various ingredients dishes, whether it’s spices, curry, or anything else in the kitchen.
With various speeds to choose from, you can be sure that it will be easier to get the right consistency from your food.
Frequently Asked Blender Purchasing Questions
Is a Ninja blender good for Indian cooking?
Ninja might just make some of the most popular blenders in the blender world today. This is undoubtedly because the majority of their designs are affordable, user-friendly, and powerful.
This leaves quite a few people wondering if a Ninja blender could be the best blender option for use in Indian cooking. We think that yes, the right Ninja blender could make an excellent tool for Indian cuisine.
Do keep in mind that this depends on the specific blender, though. Not all Ninja models are guaranteed to be the best for Indian cooking, which is why recommended certain ones in this guide, like the Ninja Foodi.
The Ninja Foodi is an incredibly versatile blender. Its range of speed settings and controls make it wonderful for all types of food, not just Indian food. However, this very same versatility is what makes it one of the best when it comes to making Indian food.
Is a Vitamix blender good for Indian cooking?
Ask any blending enthusiast what one of the best names in the business is, and they’ll probably say Vitamix. Heck, we’d tell you something similar if you were to ask us.
A Vitamix blender is like purchasing a guarantee of quality. In fact, many of them come with a 7 year warranty, because Vitamix is so confident in their workmanship.
A blender with the name Vitamix on it will probably be an excellent choice for making Indian food. They’re oftentimes powerful, flexible, and long-lasting, so you’ll be able to keep preparing Indian food for years to come with your blender. You probably won’t even need to make use of that 7 year warranty for quite a long time.
We’re so confident in the power of a Vitamix blender that we chose to include a couple on this list! The Vitamix 7500 is definitely one of the best options on the market today when it comes to a blender that can be used to make Indian food.
Which Blender is the best for Indian Cooking?
So, which blender would we say is the best when it comes to Indian cooking? Any of the options on this list is a good pick to go with.
But if even the amount of options on this list seems overwhelming, our suggestion is the Vitamix 7500. It’s powerful, capable of making multiple servings at once, and makes cleanup easy.
Of course, we understand that a Vitamix isn’t always in your budget, even if you’re searching for the best blender for Indian food. If you want the best blender for a budget, we’d suggest the Ninja Foodi. You’ll still get a lot of motor power with it and tons of blend settings to choose from.
We’re confident that it’s the best blender on the list for anyone who wants the functionality of a Vitamix, but at a fraction of the cost.
What is the best blender for everything?
Most the blenders on this list are suitable for a wider range of cooking purposes aside from Indian cooking.
If we had to pick one for best overall use, however, we’d again have to pick the Vitamix 7500. Vitamix blenders aren’t considered top-of-the-line without good reason, and this one demonstrates the famous Vitamix quality standards.
We hope this guide helped you find the perfect blender for you to take home. Each pick on our list has the ability to help make Indian food a reality in your own home kitchen. If you wanna find out more about blenders also serve as food processors, you can read our guide on best blender food processor combo.