Trying to figure out where the tomatillos are in the grocery store? Here are the aisles you should be checking...
We'll also tell you which stores are most likely to carry them...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Are Tomatillos In?
Fresh tomatillos should be in the produce section of the grocery store. Check by the tomatoes, avocados and garlic.
Some stores also carry canned tomatillos. You may find these in either the canned vegetable aisle or the international aisle by the Latin products.
But if you haven't been able to find tomatillos in your area, check one of the stores listed below...
Also Related: Where to Find Shortening in the Grocery Store
What Stores Sell Tomatillos?
- Amazon - You'll find fresh and canned tomatillos on Amazon. You can also buy time-saving products like tomatillo salsa and sauces.
- Walmart - There are usually fresh tomatillos in the produce sections of Walmart stores, but you should also be able to get canned tomatillos, probably in the canned goods aisle. Reference the store locator on the company website for product availability information.
- Whole Foods - Whole Foods stocks fresh and canned tomatillos. Check the produce and canned goods aisles.
- Your Local Health Food Store - Many health food stores sell fresh tomatillos (canned tomatillos may be hit or miss).
- Safeway - If you're at Safeway, look for fresh and canned tomatillos in the jarred foods and international aisles.
- Trader Joe's - If the Trader Joe's store you're looking in doesn't have fresh tomatillos, it may stock tomatillo salsa.
- Kroger - Kroger supermarkets have fresh and canned tomatillos. Check the sections with Latin products and canned vegetables.
- Publix - Check the produce and international aisles at Publix for tomatillos.
- Farmers Markets - If tomatillos are grown somewhere near you, you can check farmers markets for super fresh tomatillos.
- Latin Markets - You should find fresh and canned tomatillos at Latin markets.
Great Ways to Use Tomatillos
Add Them to Salads
The tangy flavor of tomatillos is delightful in all kinds of salads, but it's particularly scrumptious with fruits like berries and watermelon. Chiffonade some fresh mint or basil and throw in a handful of wilted kale for a super nutritious and delicious lunch.
You Might Also Like: Where to Find Soba Noodles in the Grocery Store
Make Tomatillo Salad Dressing
Also Related: Where to Find Xylitol in the Grocery Store
Tomatillos are fabulous in any part of the salad, including the dressing. Use them instead of citrus fruits like lemon and lime in any standard recipe, or make a creamy, zesty vegan tomatillo ranch for everything from salads, to sandwiches, to carrot stick dipping.
Also Check Out: Where to Find Soy Lecithin in the Grocery Store
With tomatillos, a healthy variety of vegetables and some veggie stock, you can make a fabulous tomatillo soup. Try it warm or cold like gazpacho on a hot summer day.