Trying to figure out where they keep the shortening in the grocery store? Here are the aisles you can find it in…
We’ll also tell you which stores generally carry it…
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Shortening In?
You should be able to pick up shortening in the aisle with cooking oils. Usually, this will be the baking or spice aisle.
If you’re looking for organic shortening, it might be in a different area. Check the organic, natural foods or vegetarian and vegan aisle.
Not seeing shortening anywhere? Use our store guide below…
Also Check Out: Where to Find Pumpkin Puree in the Grocery Store
What Stores Sell Shortening?
- Amazon – If you have limited time to look for shortening locally, try Amazon. You’ll find plenty of varieties of vegan shortening at different prices.
- Walmart – Walmart sells shortening brands like Criso and Nutiva. Check the aisle with sauces and spices or use the store locator on the company website to verify online and store product availability.
- Whole Foods – Whole Foods carries Spectrum Organic All-Vegetable Shortening in the baking aisle.
- Safeway – If there’s a Safeway on your route, stop in for Crisco or Spectrum in the baking aisle.
- Target – Check for Spectrum and Crisco in the aisle with cooking oils and vinegar at Target.
- Kroger – You can get different brands of shortening in the baking area at Kroger stores.
- Publix – Publix offers its own brand of vegetable shortening as well as other brands in the oil and vinegar aisle.
- Wegmans – Look for Crisco and Spectrum shortening at Wegmans.
- Vons – If you live near a Vons supermarket, head to the baking aisle for vegetable shortening.
Great Ways to Use Shortening
Make Vegan Buttercream Frosting
Are you surprised to hear that you can make buttercream frosting vegan? If you want to whip some up for a batch of vegan cupcakes, vegetable shortening is essential. Here’s a good basic recipe that can be adjusted to suit your preferences. Going for chocolate buttercream? Add a little cocoa powder. Need a spiced frosting? Add chai spice or any flavoring you prefer.
Also Related: Where to Find Rhubarb in the Grocery Store
Use It in Vegan Pie Crusts
Also Check Out: Where to Find Vinegar in the Grocery Store
Shortening is the ingredient that will make melt-in-your-mouth vegan pie crusts that are deliciously flaky. A 50/50 mix of shortening and vegan butter will give you a nice texture and flavor balance, but you can also experiment with different ratios.
Make Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits
Just like pie crusts, vegan buttermilk biscuits get that perfectly flaky texture from shortening. You can also use it in dinner rolls and baked desserts like vegan cakes and cookies.
Hey, I’m Joey. I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid and love everything about it. You can find my writing about food, kitchen appliances (such as blenders) and much more. Thanks for stopping by!