Looking everywhere in the grocery store for horseradish? Here are the aisles you should be checking...
In most grocery stores, horseradish is kept in the condiment aisle. Look for it in a jar or plastic container near relishes, mayo and pickles.
You might also find it in the international aisle. Just make sure you're getting vegan horseradish and not a horseradish sauce that contains eggs or dairy.
Some stores offer fresh horseradish in the produce area. However, in most supermarkets you're more likely to find jarred horseradish in one of the aforementioned aisles.
Don't worry if you haven't spotted it yet. One of the stores below sells horseradish...
What Stores Sell Horseradish?
- Amazon - Shop on Amazon for horseradish brands like Morehouse and Atomic. This is the way to go if you haven't been able to find any horseradish in your immediate area.
- Walmart - Check Walmart for Yoder's Horseradish, Silver Spring Prepared Horseradish, Kelchner's and other brands. The store locator on the company website will show you what you can buy online and in stores.
- Whole Foods - You may be able to pick up some fresh horseradish root at Whole Foods. If it's not available, look for Gold's Prepared Horseradish in the condiment aisle.
- Your Local Health Food Store - You can often find prepared horseradish in a health food store, but you may even find the fresh root.
- Target - Look in Target's condiment aisle for Bookbinder's Prepared Horseradish.
- Safeway - Safeway carries Gold's, Morehouse and Silver Spring in the condiment aisle. Some stores also have the fresh root.
- Trader Joe's - Trader Joe's offers its own brand of prepared horseradish.
- Kroger - Kroger supermarkets have a good selection in the condiment area.
- Publix - You can get Gold's or Silver Spring at Publix stores.
- Asian Markets - Asian markets frequently sell fresh horseradish root.
Great Ways to Use Horseradish
Make Vegan Horseradish Sauce
To make a zingy sauce for sandwiches, tacos and nachos, just combine horseradish, mustard and vegan sour cream. Alternatively, you could use vegan mayo to make a horseradish aioli. Try the German seitan tacos topped with creamy horseradish sauce in this video if you're feeling adventurous.
Use It in Bloody Mary Mix
Bloody Mary mix requires horseradish for that special kick you won't get from hot sauce. Just make sure you're using vegan Worcestershire sauce as the regular kind contains anchovies.
Use It in Vegan Mashed Potatoes
Adding horseradish to vegan mashed potatoes takes them to another level in terms of flavor. Try using them in vegan shepherd's pie like the chef mentions in this video.