Searching for water chestnuts in the grocery store? Here are the aisles you should be checking...
We'll also tell you which stores are most likely to carry them...
- Amazon - You'll find water chestnuts from many different vendors on Amazon. Shop around and look for bulk deals—this is one of the best ways to get the lowest prices.
- Walmart - Walmart carries water chestnuts from Roland and plenty of other brands in the canned goods area. If you're looking for a particular brand, use the online store locator.
- Your Local Health Food Store - You'll probably see water chestnuts in any health food store, large or small.
- Whole Foods - Pop into a Whole Foods store for Reese, Sun Luck or Native Forest in the canned foods and international aisles.
- Safeway - If you stop at Safeway, head to the international and canned food aisles for store brand, Geisha or Dynasty water chestnuts.
- Target - Target keeps whole and sliced water chestnuts with the canned goods.
- Kroger - Near a Kroger supermarket? Grab store brand water chestnuts in the international aisle.
- Publix - Publix carries Geisha, Ke-Me, Hokan and other brands in the international section.
- Asian Markets - Asian markets often sell fresh and canned water chestnuts, so be sure to check the produce aisle.
The crunch of water chestnuts is an excellent addition to just about any meal, but salads do particularly nicely. Like jicama, water chestnuts are light, crisp and refreshing in green salads, kale salads or even broccoli salads like the one in this video.
This Chinese water chestnut cake would be perfect on a tea break in the afternoon. It's lightly sweet and close to a pudding in texture, but the water chestnuts make it delightfully nuanced.
See Also: Top Enameled Cast Iron Teapot Picks