Not sure where to find green chiles in the grocery store? Here are the aisles you should be checking...
We'll also tell you which stores typically carry them...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Are Green Chiles In?
You're most likely to find green chiles in the international aisle, especially by the Latin products. If not, check the canned goods aisle.
If you're looking for fresh green chile peppers like jalapeños and poblanos, look in the produce section. You may see them close to bell peppers or garlic and onions.
Can't seem to locate green chiles in your area? Our store guide below can point you in the right direction...
What Stores Sell Green Chiles?
- Amazon - You can buy mild, medium or hot green chiles on Amazon. The great thing about ordering from Amazon is that you have quite a variety of options.
- Walmart - Look for green chiles in the canned goods aisle at Walmart. If you're wondering what's available at your local Walmart, use the store locator on the company website.
- Whole Foods - Whole Foods will have green chiles in the produce, canned food and international aisles.
- Safeway - Check the international aisle at Safeway for brands like Ortega and La Victoria.
- Target - Target sells Market Pantry canned green chiles as well as other brands. Check the canned food aisle.
- Trader Joe's - You can usually find store brand green chiles at Trader Joe's.
- Kroger - Try the canned goods, international and produce aisles at Kroger.
- Publix - Publix supermarkets sell fresh and canned green chiles.
- Farmers Markets - Many farmers markets offer freshly picked green chiles.
- Ethnic Markets - Stop in stores like Latin and Indian markets.
- Asian Markets - Asian markets are good places to spot fresh green chiles.
Great Ways to Use Green Chiles
Hankering for some vegan tamales? Buy fresh green chiles and roast them at home on the stove top or in the oven. These do take some time to prepare, but the results are worth it.
Add Them to Breakfast Burritos
Not that vegan breakfast burritos really needed to be improved upon (they're already so delicious), but if you want to take them to the next level, add green chiles. You can do this with fresh, fire-roasted or canned green chiles—whatever you have on hand.
Make Salsa Verde
Whether you're starting with fresh or canned green chiles, they're essential for zesty salsa verde. If you want a milder salsa, go for poblanos. If you like it spicier, use Hatch chiles.