Quick Answer: You can blend apples, even with the skin and it makes a pretty good smoothie. You can also make great applesauce by blending apples with a little water. But I would recommend removing the core and seeds because they contain cyanide.
There are a few other things that are worth knowing about blending apples.
So stick around and let’s talk about it…
Using Apples in a Smoothie
If you decide to put whole applies in a smoothie with the skin, you’re probably going to notice little bits of skin throughout. As you drink, you’ll notice a slightly sour taste and waxiness coming from the skin.
Personally, I don’t find it that pleasant, but it’s tolerable. Some people like it and others do not.
You Might Also Like: Where Are Apples Grown?
Even with a high-powered smoothie blender, it’s virtually impossible to completely liquefy all of the skins.
Therefore, if you are going to use apples in a smoothie, I would recommend using an apple peeler like one of these so that you can remove the skin quickly and easily.
Besides juices and smoothies, you can do so much more with a high-powered blender and if you’re also looking for a blender than can handle grinding up Indian spices, check out our list for the best blender for Indian cooking.
You Might Also Like: How Do You Blend Ice Smoothly? (3 Simple Solutions)
Recommended Article: Vitamix 750 vs 780 Professional (What You Need to Know)
Apple Banana Smoothie Recipe
One of my favorite ways to eat apples in a smoothie is in this recipe. It’s super simple and easy and can be ready in just a few minutes. The fiber in the apples keeps you full and fueled throughout your entire day.
- One apple, peeled, cored and sliced
- Two bananas, skinned and frozen (optional)
- One cup soy milk or other plant milk (unsweetened)
- 1 tbsp flax or chia seeds
- 2-3 ice cubes (optional)
- Fresh mint for garnish and extra flavor
- Add all of the ingredients to your blender besides for the ice cubes. You can use less soy milk if you want a thicker smoothie. Feel free to add it in gradually.
- Blend until everything is smooth, feel free to stop the cycle and move things around and use a tamper.
- Add the ice cubes and blend again if you want it to be a little bit thicker.
- Add mint for garnish and extra flavor.
Because you’re using a frozen banana, this smoothie will be thick, creamy and delicious.
Check out this guide for the best NutriBullet options so you can decide which one is the best for you to buy.
Further Reading: Why Is My Smoothie Watery? (3 Simple Things You Need to Fix)