Wondering where the cocoa powder is in the grocery store? We'll show you which aisles to check...
We'll also tell you which stores carry it...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Cocoa Powder In?
The baking aisle is typically where you'll find cocoa powder. Look on the upper shelves around ingredients like chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
You may also see cocoa powder in a beverage aisle. If it's there, it will likely be around powdered drink mixes.
If you're looking for organic cocoa or cacao, you may want to head to the organic or natural food aisle.
Last but not least, check the bulk area. But if you're just not seeing it anywhere, our store guide below will help you out...
Also Read: Where to Find Chickpeas in the Grocery Store
What Stores Sell Cocoa Powder?
- Amazon - On Amazon you can get cocoa powder or raw cacao powder and choose from a wide variety of brands. This is an easy way to compare prices and look for bulk deals.
- Walmart - Walmart sells Great Value, Ghirardelli and Hershey's in the baking, beverage mix and gluten-free areas as well as cacao powder in the health food aisle. The online store locator will show you exact product availability in any location.
- Whole Foods - You can get bulk cocoa powder and brands like 365 in the baking and drink mix aisles of Whole Foods.
- Safeway - At Safeway you'll see Hershey's, Scharffen Berger and Ghirardelli with the baking ingredients and drink mixes.
- Target - Target offers Market Pantry Unsweetened Baking Cocoa in the baking aisle.
- Trader Joe's - Shopping at Trader Joe's? Grab the store brand cocoa powder (most likely in the baking ingredient aisle).
- Kroger - Kroger stocks Hershey's, Scharffen Berger and Chatfield's in the baking and drink mix areas.
- Publix - Check the baking section of Publix for cocoa powder.
- CVS - In a pinch, you can often get some type of cocoa or cacao powder at CVS and other drugstores like Walgreens and Rite Aid. Look by the supplements.
Read Also: Best Unsweetened Cocoa Powder for Baking
Great Ways to Use Cocoa Powder
Make Vegan Hot Chocolate
Do you have 15 different recipes for vegan hot chocolate saved on your computer? If you don't now, you probably will once you start searching. There are hundreds of variations, and many are absolutely fantastic. You really just need cocoa powder, sweetener and your favorite plant milk, but there are some utterly decadent recipes you'll want to try.
Use It in Vegan Mole Sauce
Cocoa powder (or chocolate) is a crucial step in creating the deep, rich flavor of spicy-smoky-sweet mole sauce. Drizzle it on tacos, enchiladas, roasted vegetables, marinated tofu steaks and so much more.
You Might Also Like: Where to Find Coconut Water in the Grocery Store
Make Chocolaty Desserts
There's no limit to how many chocolate desserts you can make with cocoa powder. If you come across a recipe with chocolate chips or baking bars, simply substitute with cocoa powder and a little neutral-flavored oil (or coconut oil, which will add a lovely, subtle flavor).