Trying to figure out where to find bitters in the grocery store? We'll show you which aisles to check...
We'll also tell you which stores are most likely to carry them...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Are Bitters In?
If your grocery store sells bitters, you'll probably find them in the aisle with cocktail mixes, club soda and seltzer.
Depending on state laws, some grocery stores have beer, wine and spirit aisles, which you can also check. Look for a bottle of Angostura bitters, which supermarkets will likely stock.
If you haven't been able to find any bitters, one of the other stores below is your best bet...
What Stores Sell Bitters?
- Amazon - If you're into craft cocktails and you're looking for a good variety of specialty bitters, Amazon is a great place to shop. You can get Angostura Aromatic Bitters as well as bitters kits with an assortment of flavors.
- Walmart - You should see Angostura in any Walmart, but you can also order different kinds of bitters online if you don't see other brands in the store. Use the online store locator to check availability.
- Liquor Stores - Bitters shopping can be made a lot easier at a liquor store as you'll probably find a good number of options.
- Whole Foods - Whole Foods might offer an array of bitters beyond Angostura, but you should at least spot this ubiquitous brand.
- Safeway - Safeway carries Angostura and Peychaud's Aromatic Cocktail Bitters in the aisle with cocktail mixes.
- Trader Joe's - If you stop at a Trader Joe's, pick up Trader Joe's Hat Trick Trio of Bitters with Classic, Grapefruit and Spicy flavors.
- Target - Look for Angostura bitters at Target with the cocktail items.
- Kroger - You may get a pretty good selection at Kroger stores, including Peychaud's and Regans'.
- Publix - Publix supermarkets should have Angostura bitters.
Great Ways to Use Bitters
Make an Aquafaba Sour
Bitters are used quite heavily in the sours of the cocktail world. As a side note, the word "sour" in the name of a cocktail often means that it's made with egg whites, but you'll get the same body in a vegan cocktail by using aquafaba. This particular sour is lovely with your trusty Angostura bitters, but you might also want to try specialty bitters in different flavors.
Use Them in Mocktails
When you're shaking up mocktails, bitters are often the key ingredients that make them taste like fancy drinks, and not just juice. They're also good spots to test out fruity or spicy bitters.
Add Them to Martinis
Classic martinis make great opportunities for experimenting with bitters. In this video, you'll see the bartender blending orange bitters into a gin martini. Play around with other citrus bitters like grapefruit and lemon, but cherry bitters could also add something special.