Looking for polenta at the grocery store? We'll show you which aisles you should be checking...
We'll also show you which stores most likely carry it...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Polenta In?
For prepared polenta (the cooked kind that comes in a tube), look in the pasta aisle first. Start with the dry pasta aisle, and if you don't see it there, find the refrigerated area with the fresh pasta. Sometimes it's near the specialty cheeses.
Since polenta is Italian, sometimes it's placed in the world foods aisle. Other times, it's mixed in with the vegan options (some stores have vegan and vegetarian aisles). It may even be by the tofu and mock meats.
Dried polenta meal, on the other hand, is often in the baking aisle with specialty flours. If not, it could be in the cereal area or wherever rice and grains are.
Still haven't found polenta? If you go to one of the stores listed below, you'll probably find what you're looking for...
What Stores Sell Polenta?
- Amazon - If online shopping is more convenient, check out Amazon, where you can find tube polenta or instant polenta in a box.
- Walmart - Walmart also has plenty of polenta options. The store locator on the company website will show you which types, whether prepared or dry, will be at the Walmart nearest to you.
- Your Local Health Food Store - Health food stores tend to cater to all kinds of diets, and since polenta is generally gluten-free, it's typically stocked at both independent and chain health food stores.
- Whole Foods - Whole Foods absolutely has polenta. You can buy 365 Everyday Value Yellow Polenta or any number of brands.
- Italian Markets - An Italian market or shop will likely offer polenta, probably imported from Italy.
- Safeway - Safeway carries Bob's Red Mill, San Gennaro and other brands. What's offered in each store may vary.
- Kroger - Your Kroger store should have polenta brands like Ancient Harvest, Bob's Red Mill, DeLallo and Bellino.
- Publix - Publix also stocks Ancient Harvest, San Gennaro and many others.
Great Ways to Use Polenta
Make Vegan Mushroom Bourguignon
This creamy polenta dish topped with mushrooms simmered in red wine, vegetable broth and fresh thyme blends rich textures and sophisticated flavors. It'll make dinner feel like a special occasion.
You can also incorporate tofu to the recipe for added protein. Don't forget to press the tofu first to remove excess moisture and make it tastier. If you're looking for the best tofu press read out article for a list of our top picks.
Make Polenta Fries
Polenta fries are a culinary experience everyone should have. Serve them like home fries at brunch with tofu scramble or as a dinner side with your favorite dipping sauces.
Bake a Cake
Polenta isn't just for savory foods. Polenta cakes are moist, tender and delicious with fresh fruits. Try blood oranges or wild blueberries and top it with vegan coconut whipped cream.