Wondering where to find barley in the grocery store? We can help! Here are the aisles to look in...
We'll also show you which stores are most likely to carry it...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Barley In?
The first stop in the grocery store is the aisle with rice and beans. You can head straight to the area with the bags of dried beans. But if it's closer to the rice, it may be with the rice blends.
Your second stop is the bulk section. If your grocery store has bulk bins, there's a good chance one of them contains barley, and it should be cheaper than the boxed or bagged barley.
Less often, you'll find barley in the breakfast aisle with the hot cereals. The last stop might be the soup aisle as barley is frequently used as a soup ingredient.
Having trouble finding it? Check one of the stores in our guide below...
What Stores Sell Barley?
- Amazon - Amazon sells many different types and brands of barley, from Quaker Oats Quick Barley for speedy cooking to bulk barley, which can help you save money.
- Walmart - Walmart offers plenty of options, including Bob's Red Mill Pearl Barley and Goya Barley. Use the website's store locator to find out what's available in your store.
- Your Local Health Food Store - It's not uncommon for health food stores to have barley in bulk bins. If it's not in a bulk bin, it should be in one of the cooking aisles. If you're not sure, ask an employee to help you out.
- Whole Foods - Whole Foods is another great place to buy bulk barley. Otherwise, you can get 365 brand barley and plenty of other packaged brands.
- Safeway - Safeway shoppers can grab Signature Kitchens Pearl Barley, Arrowhead Mills Organic Pearled Barley and others.
- Trader Joe's - Swing into Trader Joe's for Trader Joe's 10 Minute Barley.
- Kroger - At Kroger stores, you can buy Kroger Pearled Barley. You can also find Quaker and Bob's Red Mill barley, depending on the location.
- Publix - Here's another store with its own brand of barley.
- Wegmans - Live near a Wegmans? You can get Bob's Red Mill and Quaker barley, but it's also in the bulk section.
Great Ways to Use Barley
Use It in Soup
Barley has a wonderfully chewy texture that makes soups hearty and incredibly satisfying. Try this mushroom and barley soup, or go for any veggie combination you prefer. Brothy soups are customary, but there are no rules here!
Make Veggie Burgers with It
Where else does chewy barley work? In veggie burgers, of course! This recipe combines barley with lentils, but you'll also find recipes that use ingredients like black beans and mushrooms. The barley does a good deal of the work in creating the perfect texture in these mouthwatering veggie burgers.
Use It in Salads
Grains make cold and warm salads super filling and can often add a comforting element. Barley is a refreshing ingredient to use instead of typical salad grains like rice and bulgur.