Trying to figure out where the turmeric is in the grocery store? We’ll show you which aisles to check…
We’ll also tell you which stores are most likely to carry it…
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Turmeric In?
There are two main places to find turmeric in the grocery store. Where you look first depends on which kind you want to find, the fresh root or the dried spice.
If you’re looking for the whole root, you should be able to pick it up in the fresh produce section. Sometimes it’s with items like garlic and onions, but other times it’s with imported produce like jicama and yucca root.
But not every store will sell turmeric fresh. Whether it does or doesn’t, you should still be able to buy turmeric in dried, ground form in the spice aisle. It’s a bright orange-yellow spice, so it stands out from the others.
Grocery stores with bulk sections may have large containers you can fill a bag from and take exactly what you need. In general, buying bulk saves money, so if you use plenty of turmeric, this is the most cost-effective choice (for the spice).
If you’re still having a hard time finding turmeric, there are certain spots you can always buy it from, whether in person or online.
We’re listing them below…
You Might Also Like: Where Are Vanilla Beans in the Grocery Store?
What Stores Sell Turmeric?
- Your Local Health Food Store – Independent health food stores have long been sources of spices and products you might not find in supermarkets. Every health food store is different, but there’s a good change you’ll find fresh and dried turmeric here.
- Whole Foods – For both the root and the spice, Whole Foods is a good bet. Here, you can look for fresh turmeric in the produce aisle (if they stock it) or the dried spice in both the bottled spice section and the bulk spice area.
- Amazon – Amazon is often a one-stop shop. You’re probably not going to find fresh turmeric here, but there’s ground turmeric aplenty.
- Walmart – To be certain that your local Walmart carries turmeric, you can use the store locator and check availability. Walmart may not have fresh turmeric, but it should have the dried spice from big brands like McCormick.
- Safeway – This grocery store should carry the dried spice.
- Trader Joe’s – It’s possible that you could find the whole root in some Trader Joe’s stores, but you’ll definitely find the ground spice.
- Kroger – Kroger tends to carry both the fresh and the ground root.
- Publix – Publix is another big supermarket that offers the dried spice as well as a variety of turmeric teas and beverages. Your local Publix may stock the fresh root, so check the produce area.
- Ethnic Markets – Stores with goods from around the world are likely to sell turmeric in various forms. Take advantage of a trip to an ethnic market and scope out other spices you might not see in the supermarket (but that are totally essential for your cooking once you try them).
- Asian Markets – Asian markets often carry turmeric in multiple forms.
You Might Also Like: Where Can I Find Arugula in the Grocery Store?
Great Ways to Use Turmeric
Make Vegan Golden Milk
Turmeric milk (a.k.a. “golden milk”) comes from the holistic Indian tradition of Ayurveda. Praised for its anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric lends not only health benefits to this gorgeous drink, but also a delicious flavor.
This vegan version is just what you need when you’re curled up with a good book.
You Might Also Like: Where Is Arborio Rice in the Grocery Store?
Use It in Vegan Ice Cream
Is there anything more rewarding than making fun flavors of vegan ice cream? Trust us, this one is going to be a repeat recipe, year-round.
Also Read: Where Is Arrowroot in the Grocery Store?
Spice Your Curries with It
Curries are traditional dishes for turmeric. It adds a depth of flavor and perfectly matches other curry spices like coriander and cumin. Add a dollop of peanut butter and serve this curry over rice, and you’ve got vegan comfort food.