Are you searching for a planter box you can grow tomatoes in? You’ve found the right page.
We’ve done some research, and we’ve created this list of some of the best planter boxes for tomatoes. We’ll show you why each option is on the list, and some potential drawbacks to consider for them.
Let’s take a closer look.
Best Planter Boxes for Tomatoes
There are a few reasons this Keter Easy Grow Raised Garden Bed is a great pick. For starters, it’s big enough to give your tomato plants the room they need to grow healthily.
The wicker pattern it has on its sides is appealing, as well. Better yet, it comes in two colors, brown and black, so you can choose whichever one you feel would look better at home.
It’s also capable of watering your tomato plants for you through a water reservoir built into the bottom. A water gauge at the top informs you whether you need to add more water, eliminating some of the guesswork of gardening.
- Two color options.
- Has a water level gauge that clearly tells you if you need to add water or if there’s too much water.
- Draining is done manually through the tap on the side, so it doesn’t leak on anything beneath it unexpectedly.
- Includes assembly instructions that are easy to understand.
- It does require some assembly.
- If you’re using it outside, be wary of when it rains, because it could get overwatered with its reservoir and the rain combined.
Many tomato plants need some kind of support to help hold them up as they get older. That’s especially the case when they start growing tomatoes, which are heavy on the plant’s structure.
The Mobile Mini-Garden saves you money you’d otherwise have to spend on supports by having a trellis built right into it. You’ll be able to use the trellis as a support for your tomatoes when the time comes – no extra purchases on your part.
It comes with wheels that make repositioning the planter a snap. Combined with its handles, you’ll have no problem transporting it whenever you need to move.
The material is long-lived, too. Its plastic is resistant to fading and weather conditions, making it safe to use indoors or outdoors.
- Has wheels and handles for easy transport.
- Includes an integrated trellis your tomato plants can use for support.
- The planter has a drainage system with holes.
- Tough enough to be used outdoors.
- You’ll need to assemble parts of it.
Want to enjoy your homegrown tomatoes year-round? The Elevated Self-Watering Plastic Raised Garden makes it possible.
If you have a room with a lot of sunlight or a sunroom, you can keep this planter in there. Its greenhouse cover will help keep your tomato plants or even other veggies in an optimal environment.
It’s possible to use it outside, too. The plastic material it’s made from is tough enough to withstand various weather conditions and it won’t fade with exposure to sunlight.
A plant support is built into it, as well, so your tomato plants won’t sag. No need to go out and buy separate supports here.
- Has a greenhouse cover that makes it possible to grow veggies all year.
- Includes built-in supports.
- Resistant to weather and fading.
- Elevated so you don’t have to bend over to tend to your plants.
- Simple assembly that doesn’t require you to have tools.
- Some customers said it was a little smaller than they anticipated.
Those who like the idea of a greenhouse cover but don’t like the look of plastic will appreciate the CedarCraft Elevated Cedar Planter’s beauty. Just like its name says, this planter is made from cedar.
This cedar is especially durable. You can expect the planter to last you for years to come.
It includes a greenhouse cover to help you foster the perfect gardening conditions. Your back won’t ache when you use it, because it stands up off the ground or floor on legs.
- Made from beautiful and sustainably sourced cedar.
- Comes with a greenhouse cover.
- Raised height so you don’t have to kneel to garden.
- Easy assembly that doesn’t require any tools.
- It’s difficult to move once it’s assembled.
Do you have a particular color scheme you’re using in your home? Then the Adams Manufacturing Deluxe Garden Planter could be perfect for you.
Unlike most other planters on this list, it comes in several color options. You’re likely to find one that accentuates your chosen scheme.
Below the box, there’s a shelf that you can use to store some of your gardening supplies. This can help you save on space elsewhere.
Transporting it is simple. The legs come off, making it easier to move or store away outside of your growing season.
- Several colors to choose from.
- Removable legs make it easy to store or move.
- Resistant to weather conditions.
- Raised on legs, which keeps you from having to bend over or kneel.
- Can hold up to 150 pounds.
- The shelf on the bottom can hold some of your gardening supplies.
- Has a drainage hole.
- Some customers said the box was a little shallow.
- It may not look as pretty as some other planters.
The Planter Box Set with Trellisi is a combination of beauty and utility. It comes in three colors, and each one includes a trellis on the back that looks more graceful than you average plant support.
Wheels come with it, so you can also transport the planter even while it’s filled with soil and tomatoes. If you’re worried about the wheels making it unstable, they’re lockable.
And since it’s made from plastic, it’s robust. This planter can be used inside or outside, whatever your preference is.
- Three different color finishes.
- Comes with lockable wheels for effortless transport.
- There’s a trellis built into the back for support.
- Versatile enough to be used indoors or outdoors.
- Does not have drainage holes.
In case you’re just looking for a basic planter box, the Best Choice Products Raised Garden Bed is a viable option. It’s plenty large enough to support multiple vegetables, or more than one tomato plant.
The drainage holes at the bottom will keep your soil from getting too damp. Any extra water is able to simply drip out of the holes.
Because it stands 30 inches tall, you won’t need to hurt yourself kneeling to attend to your plants, either. It’s ideal if you have joint problems or just don’t like having to hunch over your garden.
- Its 30-inch height means you don’t have to stoop to garden.
- Large size for multiple plants.
- Has drainage holes.
- Has a liner to separate the wood of the planter from your soil and protect it from damage.
- Some assembly required. A few customers said they needed tools for the assembly, while others did not.
What to Consider when Buying a Planter Box for Tomatoes
Most types of tomatoes need a lot of room to grow. Your container will, at the very least, need to be deep.
As far as depth goes, we’d recommend going at least a foot deep. This will ensure your plants have enough room to spread their roots in.
If you’re going to grow more than one tomato plant, your planter box should also be wide. How wide, though, depends on how many you’re going to grow, and which kinds.
At any rate, when it comes to planting tomatoes in containers, the adage “the bigger, the better” applies. Look for deep and wide planter boxes.
Ensuring sufficient drainage is so important for most plants – not just tomatoes. But because it’s crucial for most, it’s also important to consider here.
In a worst-case type of a scenario, your soil could become completely soaked. When this happens, your plant’s roots could begin rotting or fungus could grow.
Either outcome can destroy what would otherwise be a perfectly healthy tomato plant.
To avoid these problems, look for planters that have holes in the bottom. If they don’t, you can always add drainage holes manually with a drill.
As an added bonus, consider lining the bottom of your planter with rocks. This can help contribute to the stability of your tomato vines while also aiding in drainage.
Just make sure the rocks don’t cover any existing drainage holes.
Tomato vines need something to hold them up as they get larger. For that reason, you should also be thinking about what kind of supports you’re going to have for your plants.
You can either purchase supports separately, like these ones or get a planter that already has a trellis or support frame built into it.
Tomatoes are delicious and versatile. They go in a breathtaking range of recipes.
And, surprisingly, you can grow them even if you don’t have the space to plot out a garden at home. A planter box makes it possible to enjoy these juicy plants grown fresh.
If we were growing tomatoes at our home, we’d want to give the Mobile Mini-Garden Plastic Terrarium with Trellis a whirl. We like the trellis built into it, and we also love the wheels it comes with, which make moving it a breeze.
Now’s the time to get some good gardening gloves for yourself, if you don’t have a pair already. Take a look at some of our recommendations here.