Have you been looking for the best potting soil for your Christmas cactus? It’s never too early to start the search so you house looks amazing come the holidays. Keep reading for the best soil to help your cactus thrive this season.
|Image||Product||Where to Buy|
|Hoffman Organic Cactus and Succulent Soil||View on Amazon|
|Espoma Organic Potting Mix for All Plants||View on Amazon|
|The Next Gardener Fast-Draining Succulent and Cactus Soil Mix||View on Amazon|
|Superfly Bonsai Pre-Mixed Fast Draining Blend||View on Amazon|
|Daniel's Plants Cactus and Succulent Mix and Transplant Kit||View on Amazon|
Best Christmas Cactus Potting Soils
This organic cactus and succulent mix from Hoffman is professionally formulated with cacti in mind. It is designed to help the flowers bloom to be their best while promoting the development of roots.
Cacti need drainage in order to grow well and this mix contains sand to help the soil drain faster. It also includes Canadian Spaghnum Peat Moss and Reed Sedge Peat so you will get a good amount of organic matter mixed in to balance out the soil.
If you’re a somewhat inexperienced gardener or don’t think you have a green thumb, the directions provided on the package can walk you through how to use it. Even if it’s your first time purchasing a Christmas cactus, you can transplant it confidently and enjoy its beautiful blooms.
- It’s a ready to use mix so you can get started as soon as you open it
- pH balanced
- Can be used for both jungle and desert cacti and succulents
- Some customers said there were larger pieces of mulch inside that were difficult to break up by hand
- A few people reported the soil to be hydrophobic which means it repels water
This potting mix from Espoma can be used for both indoor and outdoor containers. It is designed to help retain moisture and decrease the stress a plant undergoes when it is not watered enough.
The soil has been enhanced with a Myco-Tone formula to save water. It helps you know how much to water your plant and also retains a lot of water so you don’t have to worry about them drying out if you don’t water for a few days.
Using this soil allows your plants to be even more low maintenance which is ideal if you have a busy schedule and sometimes forget about them for a few days. By being a smarter gardener, you can make the soil work for you to help your plants, and you, stay happy.
- Has a nice, earthy smell
- Helps to promote root growth which results in bigger plants
- Can be used for all kinds of plants
- A little on the pricier side
- Some customers said the bag had a lot of air in it so there wasn’t as much soil as expected
You Might Also Like: Best Planters for Blueberries
The Next Gardener’s succulent and cactus soil mix has been imported from Denmark and is blended to be suitable for most types of cacti. It is designed to drain well so the roots do not get too wet and is best used on plants which need a more acidic soil.
Proper drainage is key to ensure the plants can breathe and get air circulation around the roots to prevent mildew or mold. It also contains double-sifted compost along with over 28 elements and minerals that plants need to stay healthy and beautiful.
Because over half of your plant lives underground and is composed of the roots, it’s essential that they get what they need through the soil. With a mix like this, you won’t have to worry that your plant is doing fine only to have it die unexpectedly because the roots were suffering unnoticed.
- 100% natural and organic
- Drains well and is lightweight
- Helps prevent roots from rotting
- A few commented that it did not have enough grit for drainage
- Some people had a bag which arrived with gnats inside
- Several users complained that the soil had a sulfuric smell they didn’t like
Also Read: Best Planters for Desert Rose
This soil mix from Superfly Bonsai was designed because of a love for bonsai plants. However, it can also be used for cactus and succulent plants which have similar soil needs.
For the health of your cactus, you will need a soil that is well-aerated and drains quickly. This soil is known for both of those requirements. It contains New Zealand pine bark, Japanese Akadama, pumice, and haydite.
It has been pre-mixed so you don’t have to worry about making your own potting mix to suit your plants needs. Just open up the bag and you are ready to plant your Christmas cactus as soon as you bring it home from the store.
- The bag is resealable
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Promotes drainage
- It’s a bit more expensive than other soils
- Some thought it actually drained too quickly for their liking
If you want your Christmas cactus to thrive long beyond the holidays and into the new year, then starting with the foundation of a good soil is the key to long growth. This mix is not only the ideal soil but also a transplanting kit so you can transfer your cactus into a more beautiful and festive pot.
Read Also: What Does Cactus Pear Taste Like?
It has been professionally formulated with the exact amount of nutrients and necessary ingredients for a healthy plant. Containing pumice and coco coir, a fiber harvested from coconuts, the soil lets water flow through while still maintaining the right amount of moisture.
Making your own potting soil mix can take a lot of time and research to make sure it is the right combination for whatever you are planting. But why waste your precious time when the experts have perfected the process and can provide you with an ideal formulation? Demystify the process by grabbing this soil and you’ll look like a pro.
- Satisfaction guaranteed or you will receive a full refund
- Includes a transplant scoop
- Very nutrient dense to feed plants
- Expands a lot when water is added so a little goes a long way
- The color is more brown and not the deep black of other potting soils
- One user commented that there was a strange smell when the soil became damp
- Several reported the bag is much smaller than they expected and not worth the cost
Miracle-Gro is known for their high-quality potting soil and plant foods and this potting mix is no exception. Added plant food will help your plant grow and stay healthy so you don’t have to buy additional products.
The fast-draining formula consists of sand and perlite to prevent the soil from getting compacted which will inhibit draining. Dense soils will spell doom for a cactus but you won’t have to worry about that with this potting mix.
Instead, let the sand in this mix mimic the natural desert environment that cactus thrive in by providing the necessary drainage. Even though it’s Christmas and you’ve got a cactus in your house, the plant will feel like it’s right at home in any pot because it will be in such a great mix.
- Enriched with plant food that feeds plants for up to six months
- Users reported that plants grew very quickly when planted in this mix
- The dirt is very loose which makes it perfect for cacti
- A few customers received soil that contained gnats or fungus
- Some reported that it was not as sandy as they would have liked for improved drainage
If you’re in search for a soil that has already been mixed and contains a lot of organic materials, this mix from Dr. Earth will help your Christmas cactus thrive. It is designed with the unique needs of cactus and similar drought-tolerant plants in mind.
The specialized ingredients help plants to become better established after they have been transplanted so they thrive in their new pots. Other ingredients added to the mix include kelp meal, dolomite lime, composted green waste, peat moss, fir bark, and more. With so many mixes and nutrients, your plant is sure to love this soil.
The manufacturer’s of this mix have really gone above and beyond to ensure it contains everything your cactus could possibly need. This will save you time and money from having to buy add-ins that you might not be sure will be useful.
- Safe for pets
- OMRI listed
- Contains pro-moisture hydrate and TruBiotic
- Most who used it reported their plants were thriving in this mix
- One customer commented that the mixture seemed more like mulch than soil
- Doesn’t soak up a lot of water
No products found.
No products found.
The goal of this soil mix from Perfect Plants is to nourish the plant while simultaneously aerating the soil for good circulation so the roots can breathe easier. This means your plant will be happy and healthy so you can plant it and enjoy it for weeks without a lot of maintenance.
It is suitable for all types of cacti, including the Christmas cactus. With a balanced blend of peat moss, lime, and perlite, you can be sure that your plant will enjoy living in this soil and you’ll get the most out of it all season long.
Read Also: Best Indoor Pots for Succulents
Once your cactus has run its course, you can re-use the soil again in the spring to plant some flowers or dump it in the garden to grow vegetables. Or just store it in the bag until next season when you’re ready to buy a new plant and use it all over again.
- Water drains very quickly and aeration expands to allow root growth
- The bag is resealable and heavy-duty so you don’t have to worry about spills or making a mess
- Some said it contained too many twigs and pieces of bark to be usable in smaller pots
- A few reported that it did not drain as well and held on to water more than they wanted
No products found.
No products found.
No products found.
This organic potting soil by Perfect Plants is designed for all types of plants but can also be used for Christmas Cactus or similar plants. If you want additional drainage for your cactus plant, you can add in even more perlite so the soil holds even less water.
This mix has also been enriched with mycorrhiza which helps the roots of your plant to grow and gets rid of bacteria that may harm the cactus. It is ideal for plants that are grown in containers or pots so you can use it indoors with a large pot to house your cactus.
The worm castings and composted pine bark in this mix has been added to the lime to balance the pH of the soil. The primary ingredients of peat moss, coconut coir, and perlite helps with moisture retention and water absorption.
With this soil, you will know that your cactus is getting everything it needs and the roots will be healthy underneath the mix. Because it has been formulated by professional growers, all the necessary ingredients are included for a beautiful and happy plant.
- The heavy-duty bag is can be sealed for easy storage and is very user-friendly
- This soil is fluffy and light and drains well so it won’t become dense when watered
- High-quality mix with a lot of additional ingredients for healthy plants
- A few users reported that the soil had a somewhat chemical smell to it
- One person thought the price was not worth it for the small amount of product
- Someone stated that their soil contained gnats and was too porous for their plant to establish roots
No products found.
This cactus mix from Sun Gro Horticulture is blended with growing different types of cactus. Because of this, you know the potting soil will contain everything a cactus will need to grow well.
Because of the unique requirements of growing cactus, using this product takes all the guess work out because it has already been mixed for you. It contains volcanic pumice, perlite, sand, and forest humus for ideal draining conditions after you water your cactus.
The balance of all the ingredients is just right without being too rich or causing an imbalance in the soil. It can also be used for other types of cactus and succulent plants or to start seeds.
- Gritty soil allows the roots to breathe without soil clumping around them
- This soil is dark, rich, and full of nutrients and other organic materials
- It drains very quickly with little to no standing water underneath the pot in the water tray
- A few thought there were too many large clumps of bark and other organic pieces
- Several customers reported that the bags can sometimes be inconsistent in quality
Related Article: Best Watering Can for Indoor Plants
Things to Consider When Choosing the Potting Soil
A Christmas cactus needs soil that can easily drain to let excess water flow through. If the roots get too wet your plant may be in trouble. Soil that doesn’t hold onto water for too long is the best choice.
Make sure you also put the cactus into a pot with a drainage hole. There should be plenty of room for the water to escape so it doesn’t build up in the bottom of the pot.
Also See: 7 Best Pots for Aloe Vera Plants
Ideal soil for a Christmas cactus will consist of several parts potting soil mixed with some sand. It can also contain peat moss or compost along with sand. You should also be mindful to see if the soil contains nutrients to feed the plant. If fertilizer is included, you won’t have to purchase additional products to ensure maximum growth.
Potting soil that is too heavy will suffocate the roots and they won’t have room to expand as they grow. You can check soil density through touch to make sure it isn’t too soft or too hard. If the bag of soil is incredibly heavy, that might be a sign that the soil is much too dense for your planting needs.
Most gardeners prefer organic soil because it doesn’t contain any chemicals which can be detrimental to your plant’s growth. An organic soil usually has more nutrients to feed the plant so it is healthy and grows to its full potential.
Some organic compounds also contain compost or other natural fibers which can give plants a boost. Although organic potting soil can be more expensive it will often last longer and can be used again for other plants.
Your Christmas cactus will need a soil that allows air to circulate properly and soil can help with that. Look for a potting soil which is light and fluffy compared to dense or tightly packed. A soil that gets too dense when it is wet won’t let the roots grow as well.
With so many types of soil to choose from, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. But if you have to choose just one, we recommend the Dr. Earth Exotic Cactus and Succulent Soil because it’s full of mix-ins and is designed to provide superior drainage. It has many organic materials to feed the plant and can be used for both indoor and outdoor plants.