Trying to figure out where to find nutritional yeast in the grocery store? Here are the aisles to check...
We'll also tell you which stores carry it...
Which Grocery Store Aisle Is Nutritional Yeast In?
The first place you should look for nutritional yeast (also lovingly called "nooch") is the health food aisle. Often, it's sold in large containers, but it's not uncommon to find it in smaller plastic jars or bags.
The second place you should look is the bulk bin section. If your grocery store has one, you can buy it by the pound and probably get it cheaper than if you were to buy the packaged products.
Finally, if you can't find it in either of those places, the spice aisle is your last resort. It might be sold in a spice jar labelled "nutritional yeast flakes" or in a larger container nearby.
If you still can't find it, one of the stores below is probably your best bet...
What Stores Sell Nutritional Yeast?
- Amazon - Amazon is a great place for buying in bulk. This is not only the most economical way to buy nutritional yeast, it's also the most convenient. You can go through it pretty fast, so stocking up is a good idea.
- Walmart - Walmart offers several different brands of nutritional yeast, like Red Star and Bragg. Use the store locator on the company website to find out what's available in your nearest Walmart.
- Your Local Health Food Store - Besides Amazon, local health food stores are great places to find bulk nutritional yeast. Prices may vary, and if you don't see it in the bulk section, it should be sold in one of the shelf-stable aisles.
- Whole Foods - If you shop at Whole Foods, you may find Whole Foods brand nutritional yeast. If not, there are plenty of other brands to choose from.
- Safeway - Safeway stores stock Bob's Red Mill and Bragg nutritional yeasts.
- Trader Joe's - Trader Joe's offers nutritional yeast from its own brand.
- Kroger - If you live near a Kroger store, you should be able to buy Bragg Nutritional Yeast Seasoning.
- Publix - Publix supermarkets also sell a few different brands, including Bob's Red Mill and Red Star.
Great Ways to Use Nutritional Yeast
Make Vegan Cheese Sauce
Nutritional yeast has an incredible cheesy flavor without containing anything remotely dairy-like. For this reason, it's a natural vegan cheese replacement when mixed with the right ingredients for texture and flavor. Go for "cheese" pasta sauces like the one in this video, vegan nacho cheese, pizza sauces and more.
Use It as a Popcorn Topping
Here's another place the cheesy flavor of nutritional yeast can shine. You don't really need much more than the nooch, but you can get as inventive as you like with herbs and spices. Tip: This same concept can be applied to kale chips, or any vegetable chip for that matter.
Create Your Own Salad Dressings
There are so many delicious nutritional yeast salad dressings out there. Here's a basic recipe you can enjoy by itself or build on with seasonings and ingredients like whole-grain mustard and maple syrup for a touch of sweetness. Explore all the vegan dressings you can make online.