We'll also tell you which stores typically carry them...
First, check the aisle with dried beans and pulses. This is often the same aisle you'll find rice in. If you're not spotting it right away, look on the shelves with soup mixes.
- Amazon - Amazon is always helpful when a pantry item is scarce in your area. Shop for lentils in any color as well as bulk lentils, which are usually cheaper.
- Walmart - Walmart is another good place to buy fairly priced lentils from. Check out brands like Great Value, Bob's Red Mill, La Preferida, Goya and others. The online store locator can show you product availability in each store.
- Your Local Health Food Store - Virtually every health food store sells lentils, and many sell them in bulk.
- Whole Foods - You can pick up bulk lentils or 365 Everyday Value brand lentils at any Whole Foods store.
- Target - You'll find many lentil options in the dried beans and rice aisle of Target, including Market Pantry Lentils and Simply Balanced Organic French Green Lentils.
- Safeway - If you're at Safeway, look for Goya, Signature Kitchens and Arrowhead Mills lentils in different colors.
- Trader Joe's - Trader Joe's offers store brand green and red lentils.
- Kroger - Pick up Kroger brand lentils in the dried beans aisle of any Kroger supermarket.
- Publix - Publix sells its own brand of brown lentils in addition to brands like Bob's Red Mill and Goya.
- Ethnic Markets
- Look in Indian, Latin and Italian markets, to name a few.
They may all carry at least one lentil variety.
Lentil soup is one of the greatest vegan comfort foods of all time. It's cheap and easy to make in big batches, which you can freeze for quick meals down the road. Look around online for red, green and brown lentil soup recipes.
Use Them in Vegan Lentil Burgers
Many vegans rely on hearty lentils as an excellent protein source as well as a fabulous mock meat option. Once you've made your own veggie burgers with lentils, you can try vegan shepherd's pie, mock meat balls and more.