The creamy texture and sweet taste of coconut milk go well with different dishes, making it an excellent vegan substitute for dairy milk. In fact, coconut milk goes very well with your overnight oats, a breakfast recipe which we feature today.
If there’s one great thing about any overnight oats recipe is that they can be customized to your heart’s content.
The combination we are using for this recipe includes coconut milk, and a vegan yogurt of your choice, which in our case, is vanilla. We are topping the mixture with some pitted cherries. You may also enrich the taste even more with some shredded coconuts.
If there’s one great thing about any overnight oats recipe is that it can be customized to your heart’s content. If you don’t like cherries or don’t have any on hand feel free to use some blueberries or some strawberries. Heck, you can even omit them altogether.
You can even use different flavors of vegan yogurt besides vanilla to mix and match different flavor combos. Prep a few different flavors a few days in advance so that you get a variety of overnight oats to choose from during the week.
We use low fat coconut milk in this recipe, but if you want it to be super decadent you can experiment with the full fat variety from a can. It makes a fantastic desert!
One last suggestion: If you make a morning smoothie, try pouring a bit of it on top of your oats the next day to make a vegan parfait!
Give the recipe below a try and let us know how it goes:
Overnight Oats with Coconut Milk
- Mason Jar
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk (low-fat, unsweetened)
- 3 tbsp Vegan Yogurt (vanilla flavor)
- 1/4 cup Cherries (pitted; frozen (thawed if frozen))
- 1 tbsp Shredded coconuts (optional)
- 1/2 Medium-sized Banana (mashed or chopped)
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Start by mixing together in the mason jar the rolled oats, coconut milk, and vegan yogurt. Use a spoon or a stirrer to make sure that all ingredients are evenly soaked in the milk.
- Sweeten the mixture with the maple syrup. Take note that the rest of the ingredients may already be naturally sweet, so make sure not to overdo this.
- Continue with the toppings. First, add a layer of the mashed banana.
- Add some shredded coconuts, evenly distributing it on the top.
- As a final layer, add in the pitted cherries.
- Close the jar and refrigerate it overnight.
- Before eating it in the morning, you may add a dash of salt and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon, for added flavor.
Wondering what’s the best container options for storing and prepping overnight oats? Check out our list for the best container for overnight oats.
Hey, I’m Joey. I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid and love everything about it. You can find my writing about food, kitchen appliances (such as blenders) and much more. Thanks for stopping by!