Are you interested in learning about bell peppers and vitamin C? You have come to the right place.
In this article, we’ll discuss the Vitamin C content of bell peppers and compare it to other foods to assess if it’s a good source of this essential nutrient.
But first, let’s ask the question you’re probably wondering – Do Bell peppers Contain Vitamin C?
Quick Answer: Yes, bell peppers contain vitamin C. A raw yellow bell pepper actually has 183 mg of Vitamin C for only 27 calories. Compared to other foods, this is an extremely high amount of Vitamin C per calorie, making it one of the best sources available.
Let’s learn a bit more by looking at how much Vitamin C it contains in different measurements and vs. other foods.
Vitamin C Content of Bell Peppers
- A yellow raw bell pepper has 27 calories per 100g. That 100g of yellow bell pepper contains 183.5mg of Vitamin C. This equates to a whopping 6.79 mg of Vitamin C per calorie or 679 mg per 100 calories!
- 100g of red raw bell peppers with a calorie count of 26 has 127.7mg of Vitamin C. This equates to 4.9 mg of Vitamin C per calorie or 491 mg of Vitamin C for every 100 calories.
- Raw green bell pepper with 20 calories for every 100g has 80.4mg of Vitamin C. This equates to 4 mg of Vitamin C per calorie or 400 mg of Vitamin C for every 100 calories.
Are Bell Peppers a Good Source of Vitamin C?
Bell peppers are one of the best sources of Vitamin C available. With 679 mg of Vitamin C per 100 calories, it’s hard to find another food that beats a yellow bell pepper…
- A raw Jalapeno pepper that has a calorie count of 1 per tsp. has 3.7mg of vitamin C. This means for every 100 calories it has 370 mg of Vitamin C.
- Raw onions have 40 calories per 100g and contain 7.4mg of vitamin C. This equates to 0.185 or Vitamin C per calorie or 18.5 mg of Vitamin C per 100 calories.
- Oranges contain 1.13 mg of Vitamin C per calorie or 113 mg for every 100 calories.
- Apples contain 8.79 mg of Vitamin C per 100 calories or 0.87 mg per calorie.
Hey, I’m Joey. I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid and love everything about it. You can find my writing about food, kitchen appliances (such as blenders) and much more. Thanks for stopping by!