In this short article, we’re going to answer some of your most common questions on parsnip – including the ever so popular one: What Does Parsnip Taste Like?
Let’s get to the parsnip…
Check out the video above for an extremely detailed description from an adventurous kid!
Texture of Parsnips
The texture of a parsnip will greatly depend on how you cook it…
- Roasted Parsnip:The texture of a roasted parsnip is similar to a roasted white potato, but more starchy.The outside of can get kind of crunchy, but it usually has a softer texture than a roasted potato.
- Boiled Parsnip:Boiled parsnips have a creamy texture.Some of the starch will get boiled out in the water, so it’s a big lighter and less dense than a roasted parsnip.
Love Potatoes? Check Out These Top Sweet Potato Fry Cutters & Slicers…
Does Parsnip Taste Like a Turnip?
While they have similar texture, a parsnip doesn’t taste like a turnip.Parsnips have a sweet flavor profile while turnips tend to be slightly bitter.For context, a turnip tastes similar to a radish.
Related Article: What Does Paprika Taste Like?
What Pairs Well with Parsnips?
- Soups:Parsnips are great additions to any kind of soup.They add a pleasant texture when boiled whole in a soup or can be pureed to get a butternut squash soup texture.
- Salads:As we mentioned, thin and raw parsnip pairs well with fresh veggies in a salad.
- Mashed Potatoes:You can pair mashed parsnips and mashed potatoes to for a creamier texture and slightly sweet and herb-like flavor profile.
- Savory Herbs & Spices:Roasting parsnips with herbs is a great way to compliment it’s flavor profile.With a little bit of olive oil, salt and herbs of choice, you’ll end of with delicious veggie chips.
- Sweet Spices: Spices like clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg are perfect.
Read Also: What Does Peanut Butter Taste Like?
Here are a few videos to illustrate greater detail…
In the video above, it shows how easy it is to puree parsnip into a creamy soup.throw somechivesor scallions on there and you’re good to go!
Hey, I’m Joey. I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid and love everything about it. You can find my writing about food, kitchen appliances (such as blenders) and much more. Thanks for stopping by!