You may have heard about nutritional yeast, but you might not know all the reasons it's so great. In this post, you'll learn all the things to love about nutritional yeast along with answers to some of the most common questions on how to make the most of it. You'll be sure to want to add it to your shopping list by the end!
Top 15 Reasons to Love Nutritional Yeast
One of the most popular uses for nutritional yeast is to recreate vegan versions of cheesy comfort foods. The most popular being the comfort food staple mac n' cheese. There are tons of recipes out there, but the basic principles are always the same, and once you've mastered a base recipe, you can adapt it to fit your own tastes.
- All you need to do is blend up soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, and some lemon juice with enough water to blend.
- The combination of neutral flavored fat from the cashews, umami from the yeast, and acid of the lemon will create a flavor profile and texture that's extremely similar to cheese sauce.
- Additional ingredients such as boiled potatoes, carrots, onions, and miso paste can be added to enhance or modify flavors and textures.
2. Gluten Free Way to Thicken Up Soups and Sauces
Nooch can thick up soups and sauces without having to add flour or make a roux. It’s an especially great alternative if you’re gluten-free! Using it this way is simple and easy.
- Take whatever liquid you want to thicken and slowly add drops of nutritional yeast and stir.
- Repeat this process until desired thickness is reached.
- Be careful about adding too much at once because the you can always add more, but you can't take any away!
3. Affordable and Lasts a Long Time
Nutritional yeast has been commonly mistaken as an expensive ingredient, but it's actually extremely affordable if you know how to buy it.
Now, you may have noticed shaker bottles in your local grocery store, and they may have been a little pricey.
The best thing to do is to buy bulk pails (of 5 pounds or 10 pounds) from sites like Amazon or Jet for a one-time cost of around $50-$60. Then, store it in a cool dry place in the bucket and place a portion of it in an easy to access small container that you can use for dispensing.
Nutritional yeast is packed with vitamins and is usually fortified with B12, an essential nutrient produced by microbes.
It’s also a great source of vitamins and minerals including Magnesium, Copper and Manganese and a very good source of Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, and Zinc.
Be sure to check the label, though, because levels of each nutrient vary depending on the brand and how it's fortified.
Nutritional yeast has some catchy nicknames like “Yeshi,” “Hippie-Dust,” and, the most popular, “Nooch.”
Really, what other condiment or seasoning can you say that about?
6. Makes Easy Popcorn Seasoning
10. Can Help Meet you Meet Daily Fiber Requirements
Nutritional yeast has around 4 grams of fiber per serving (unlike cheese which has 0).
This can help people meet their 31.5g recommended fiber intake, a goal which most fall short on. This is especially great for people who do not consume certain whole grains or certain fiber-rich vegetables and are hard-pressed to find reliable daily fiber sources. (1)
11. 8g of Protein Per Serving
Since it has around 8g of protein per serving, it’s a quick way to turn something like a pasta dish into a meal that’s well-rounded in macronutrients without doing anything complicated.
12. Cheesy Breadcrumbs!
You can blend up some nooch with some hardened leftover bread for cheesy breadcrumbs that you can use on almost anything!