Wondering about whether or not fresh pasta is vegan? Let’s find out right now…
Is Fresh Pasta Vegan?
Sometimes fresh pasta is vegan and sometimes it is not. This is because some recipes call for eggs while others simply call for flour, water and salt.
If you’re eating out at a restaurant that makes fresh pasta, it’s always best to ask if they use eggs to make it. It’s a complete coin toss.
That said, the majority of standard boxed pasta such as Barilla products are still completely vegan.
Check out this vegan starter kit
It usually only the homemade fresh recipes that call for eggs, not the pasta that is commercially produced.
How is Fresh Pasta Made?
Making vegan fresh pasta is a simple process and it’s really easy to make it vegan. Just do the following…
- Add 2 cups of semolina pasta flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup water to a mixing bowl.
- The final dough should be stiff, but also possible to knead.
- Knead dough for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let the dough rest for 20 minutes
- Flatten out the dough with a rolling pin or pasta machine. Work with little chunks of the fresh pasta dough at one time so it’s easier to handle.
- Cut pasta into whatever shape your heart desires.
- Your pasta machine may also be able to cut it.
- Boil water and let pasta cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Fresh pasta does not need as much time as boxed dried pasta to cook.
The non-vegan version of fresh pasta is made pretty much the same way. The only difference is that eggs usually replace a portion of the water in the pasta.
Vegan Ideas for Fresh Pasta
If you opt to make a fresh pasta at home, here are a few fantastic ways you can serve it plant-based…
- Top with a simple vegan-friendly tomato sauce and fresh basil.
- Make a creamy sauce with cashews, butternut squash and nutritional yeast. You can even use cauliflower if you so fancy.
- Make a fresh pesto sans the Parmesan cheese.
- Enjoy it Asian-style with a Thai homemade peanut sauce with fresh veggies such as Bok Choy.
- Serve it with your favorite beans, lentils or other legumes and pulses. Garnish with a little bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and some spices and you have something that is simple yet delicious.
So is fresh pasta vegan? Here’s a quick recap…
- Always ask whether pasta made fresh at a restaurant has eggs. There’s a good chance it does even though it’s not required.
- Boxed pasta typically never has eggs and is always vegan unless its labeled as egg noodles, egg pasta or pasta with extra protein.
Want to take all of the guess-work around going vegan?
Click here to check out the Vegan Starter Kit.