Thinking about growing your own vegetable garden from home? It’s a great idea – it could help you save a little money in the long run, and you’ll get to enjoy veggies that are as fresh as possible.
Unless you have a spacious yard, though, it’s not always easy to make room for your garden. That’s where a planter box comes in.
They come in all kinds of sizes. Some are even small enough to allow you to garden from a patio, deck, or balcony, if your room is really limited.
Not sure where to look? That’s okay – we’ll show you some of the best planter boxes for vegetables so you can get started.
Best Planter Boxes for Vegetables
No products found.
No products found.
Just like its name, the Keter Easy Grow Raised Garden Bed has a bunch of features that make growing veggies in a planter box easy.
As an example, look at its self-watering quality. Built into the bottom of the planter, there’s a water reservoir that allows water to get into the soil of your garden from below.
That’s fantastic if you ever forget to water your plants. We’ve all been there.
Worried you might forget to fill the water reservoir? Don’t worry – there’s a water gauge at the top of the planter so you know what level you’re at.
And if you ever accidentally put too much water in the reservoir, that’s not an issue, either. There’s an external drainage tap on the side that lets you remove any extra water from the reservoir.
- Attractive wicker look with two colors to choose from.
- Has a water gauge that lets you know when more water is needed.
- Raised design so you don’t have to kneel to garden.
- Manual drain tap means it won’t leak all over your home if you have it indoors.
- Easy to put together.
- Although it is easy, there is still some assembly needed.
- Because of its self-watering, you’ll need to be mindful of rain if you have the planter outside to ensure your garden doesn’t get too much water.
Related Article: Best Planter Boxes for Patios
No products found.
At a first glance, this planter looks a little on the plain side. But the Adams Manufacturing Deluxe Garden Planter is definitely worth some consideration.
Unlike many of the planters on this list, it comes in a huge range of colors. That makes it more visually flexible than a lot of planter boxes out there.
The plastic material comprising it makes it light. You won’t need to huff and puff to carry this one wherever you need to.
Need to store it for the winter? The legs come off, so you can pack the planter away for a little while.
- Comes in eight different colors.
- Has a built-in shelf on the bottom you can use to store gardening supplies.
- The shelf is strong – it can hold up to 150 pounds.
- Removable legs for easy storage.
- Has a drainage hole so your veggies won’t be soaked.
- Light enough to lift comfortably.
- Some customers felt it was a little shallow.
Also Read: Best Planters for Container Gardens
In case you’re looking for something a little homier, take a look at this Araluen Cedar Planter Box. Made from actual wood, it’s simply perfect for adding a nice earthy feel to your patio, deck, or balcony.
Drainage holes on the bottom work to ensure your veggies aren’t subjected to root rot. They also help promote air circulation, which further works to keep your soil from becoming soggy.
At 40 inches long and 12 inches deep, it’s roomy, too. You’ll have plenty of space to grow a variety of veggies.
- Made from sturdy wood.
- Nice and rustic aesthetic.
- Stained to protect it from weather conditions.
- Has drainage holes to let excess water out.
- It’s not raised, so you will need to bend or kneel to tend to your garden.
- Some assembly required.
Also Read: Best Planters for Boston Fern
With the Aivituvin Raised Garden Bed, you’re getting an entire workspace. Aside from the planter box portion, you have a side shelf and a shelf on the bottom for storing supplies.
The top of the planter box is lined with a divider that divides the planter itself into eight segments. This can be useful for growing a number of separate veggies.
But if you don’t like the divider, it’s easily removable, too.
Even better, the planter is built with an incredibly tough frame. You won’t need to worry about it breaking or falling apart anytime soon.
- Includes a divider that divides the box into eight sections (which can be removed).
- Has a shelf on the side and a shelf beneath the box.
- Built with a strong and long-lasting frame.
- It’s not difficult to assemble.
- Comes with a complimentary inner lining.
- Requires some assembly.
If you have a little more room than a patio, this Docia Cedar Wood Raised Garden would be an excellent fit. At four by four feet, it’s a bit larger than many other options in this guide.
However, it comes packed with useful features. Perhaps one of the most noticeable is the fence it comes with.
If you have a dog or kids or wild animals that could get into your garden, this fence will help protect it.
It’s also long-lived. The wood it’s composed of is resistant to weather, insects, and rot, so you can expect this one to stick around with you for a long time.
- Made from beautiful cedar wood.
- Includes a fence to protect your garden.
- Resistant to weather, rot, and insects.
- You don’t need tools to put it together.
- Provides plenty of room for your plants.
- Some assembly is required.
- A few customers noted the wood is very rough, and you’ll need to wear gloves while handling so you don’t get splinters.
Related Article: Best Planters for Birds of Paradise
Worried you won’t get enough sunlight? Consider something like the CedarCraft Self-Watering Elevated Spruce Planter, which includes a brilliant greenhouse cover.
As an added bonus, the greenhouse cover could help protect your plants if you have them outdoors.
Beyond the greenhouse cover, it has a self-watering irrigation system. It can hold up to six gallons of water, saving you the time of having to remember to water every day.
It’s also built to last. Its legs are rust proof, and the sturdy Canadian spruce used to make it is from a sustainable source.
- Comes with a greenhouse cover.
- You can move it to different locations with the wheels on the bottom of the legs.
- Because it’s raised, you won’t strain your back.
- Made from wood from a sustainable source.
- Self-watering, with a system that can hold six gallons.
- Can be expensive.
- Requires some assembly.
Related Article: Best Planters for Dracanea
What to Consider when Buying a Planter Box for Vegetables
Your vegetable garden needs some space, especially if you’re growing more than one kind of plant or multiples of the same plant.
So in this case, bigger truly is better. Of course, that really depends on what you’re growing, but as a general rule, it’s nice to have room.
Pay attention to the size of any potential planter. Consider how many or which kinds of veggies you’ll be growing, in combination with their growing requirements.
Also See: Best Soil for Indoor Aloe Plants
When it comes to planters of any kind, we always discuss drainage. It’s that important.
If you just water every plant without any regard to how much water it actually needs, you could easily overwater it. The result of this is deadly root rot that will ruin your garden.
What’s the solution? Planters that make adequate drainage possible.
Usually, this is accomplished through perforations in the base. Any water above and beyond what your plants actually need will drip out of these holes, protecting your plants from rotting roots.
Make sure you pay attention to whether or not a planter has a good draining system in place.
Your vegetable planter box doesn’t have to be unattractive, or even just plain. Given that there are countless options out there for you, you can certainly afford to factor in the way each one looks.
They come in all shapes and sizes. Many can be purchased in unique colors, as well.
Because of this variety, feel free to consider if there’s a certain color or aesthetic you’d prefer.
Still don’t know which planter box to pick? We’d suggest trying the CedarCraft Self-Watering Elevated Spruce Planter.
The greenhouse cover will help guard your veggies and keep them warm. We also love the sustainable Canadian spruce it’s made from.