Question of the day: Are banana peppers the same as bell peppers?
Quick Answer: No, banana peppers are not the same as bell peppers. They both belong to the capsicum family, but taxonomists classify them as different species. They vary in nutritional value, and even their appearance would make them hard to confuse.
When you look at a banana pepper, it is easy to see where it got its name. They are yellow, shaped like a banana, and have smooth, shiny skin. Likewise, bell peppers look much like bells. They are squat, rounded, and come in a wide variety of colors.
Nutrition levels are what truly separates bell peppers from banana peppers.
- Bell peppers are lower in sugar.
- Banana peppers are higher in carbohydrates.
- Bell peppers are lower in calories.
- Banana peppers have less folate.
- Bell peppers are higher in vitamins A and C.