Are you looking for a cocktail strainer that meets your needs and aren’t sure where to start? Then, why not be like a professional bartender and consider a Julep strainer?
This cocktail strainer option provides a broad range of benefits for beginning cocktail mixers, including a fine mesh that makes it one of the most popular bar tools alongside its sister strainer, the Hawthorne strainer.
In this article, we’ll talk about the design of the Julep strainer, how it differs from a Hawthorne strainer, and review the 15 best options for your needs. We did a lot of research to ensure our reviews were accurate.
Each review will highlight the pros and cons of each fine mesh strainer, including the overall design of each cocktail shaker, whether they come with a mixing glass, their high-quality stainless steel, amenities like a shaker tin or drinking straw, and more.
Here’s a quick summary of our top picks and why we selected them:
|Product Name||Why We Picked It|
|Oxo Steel Cocktail Strainer Check Price on Amazon >>||
|Barfly Julep Strainer Check Price on Amazon >>||
|A Bar Above Julep Strainer
Check Price on Amazon >>
TheBarsentials Cocktail Strainer Set
Boao 2 Pieces Julep Strainer
The Difference Between Hawthorne and Julep Strainers
When buying a Julep strainer, it is vital to understand the differences between this type and a Hawthorne strainer. Both cocktails trainer options have unique design elements that make them worth considering.
So, let’s break down these fine mesh strainers to give you an idea of which cocktail strainer is right for you. Let’s start with the Hawthorne strainer before moving on to the Julep strainer, as both cocktail strainer options have similar material designs and use that must be understood.
What is a Hawthorne Strainer?
The Hawthorne strainer is one of the first cocktail strainers designed and was patented in 1894 by William Wright. It gets its name from The Hawthorne Cafe, a popular Boston bar where it was heavily used. As a result, you might see some people refer to the Hawthorne Strainer as a Boston Shaker, and that is why.
Hawthorne Strainer Design
A Hawthorne strainer includes a perforated spoon with surrounding coils that help to keep cocktail ingredients in place. This fine mesh strainer typically consists of a prong that holds it to the class, which makes them relatively easy to use with minimal challenge.
What is a Julep Strainer?
The history of Julep strainers is uncertain, though it is believed they were invented during the 1800s when large mustaches were very common. Their simple design helped keep cocktail strainers and their ingredients away from this hair and out of a drink.
Julep Strainer Design
Julep strainers are a simpler tool than the Hawthorne strainer and consist of a simple spoon into which ingredients are poured. The spoon may sit on the cop or be held by the bartender as they pour. That simple design makes them less challenging and straightforward for cocktail strainers.
The 15 Best Julep Strainers on the Market
Read through each of these reviews to find a cocktail strainer that works for your needs. Pay attention to each of the pros and cons and highlight any features that appeal to you.
In this way, it should be pretty simple to identify an option that makes the most sense for your needs. Just as importantly, identify any extra items that come with these shakers.
For example, some bar tools might come with a mixing glass, a book of cocktail recipes, or even a drinking straw. These items make your strainer more diverse in use.
Other fine mesh strainers may provide a very cheap strainer set with high-grade stainless steel that makes sense for your budget. Now, let’s dive right into it!
Oxo Steel Cocktail Strainer
Oxo typically provides a high-quality product, and this design is no different. It comes with a durable stainless steel body that strains ice, fruit, pulp, seeds, and much more from your drink. The raised lips help keep your cocktails cleaner, and the overall design is dishwasher safe. Oxo does a lot of the little things right, making this one of the best options overall for your needs.
- It comes with an Oxo steel guarantee
- The raised lip prevents spills
- Some users may love the short handle
- Some users complained that it didn’t fit well with some pitchers
- The shortened handle worsened other pitchers’ cons
Barfly Julep Strainer
This Julep strainer uses heavy-duty stainless steel to produce you can trust a cocktail strainer. It is dishwasher safe, includes several substantial prongs, and can handle crushed ice, fruit pulp, and liquor through a fine mesh to produce delicious mint Juleps that you’ll love. With an overall weight of about 2.5 ounces, they’re an excellent option for those who want a simple and efficient strainer.
- The lightweight design is easy to handle
- The price is relatively reasonable
- The mesh works very well
- It may feel light to some users
- Some might find it a bit too simple
A Bar Above Julep Strainer
A Bar Above tends to make high-quality stainless steel products above most standard cocktail shakers. This option is no different. While the price is slightly higher than you might expect, the overall design is very sturdy and reliable. As a result, it remains one of the most popular options on the market and is something we suggest for serious home-bar owners who want to double strain their mint juleps.
- The ergonomic design is very comfortable
- The oval shape should easily fit most glasses
- An overall design that feels comfortable and streamlined
- It may not be suitable for professional bars
- The price may be high for some home bar owners
TheBarsentials Cocktail Strainer Set
Do you want a Julep strainer set that includes multiple items, including options for double strain cocktails? Then, you might want to consider these bar tools. This product comes with three strainers that help remove fruit pulp, crushed ice, or ice chips and provide a separate strainer with a mixing spoon and professional stainless steel. This option works best for those who want a serious bar and plan to serve many people.
- The diverse array of strainer options
- The solid stainless steel design
- The included mixing straw
- There might be too much for some people
- Some may find these strainers challenging to use
Boao 2 Pieces Julep Strainer
Here’s a robust set of two Julep strainers that should allow for double straining on your standard bar counter. They included a rounded handle that feels more comfortable in hand and the ability to integrate crushed mint leaves and more into your cocktails. We suggest this option for those who want to use ice chips for their double strained cocktails.
- The package includes two strainers.
- The ergonomic handle is very comfortable for most people
- The price is very reasonable
- Some users may find the handle awkward
- The stainless steel feels a little cheap
Crafthouse by Fortessa Professional Metal Bar Tools
These bar tools come with a broad array of items, including various Julep strainer and cocktail strainer designs. With a weight of about 2.39 ounces, your strainer should be easy to handle with minimal difficulties. The overall design includes an old-school flair that works well for those who love the aesthetics of the Prohibition era and want to recreate it in their bar and pair it with an attractive mixing glass.
- The overall style is very attractive
- The lightweight is simple to handle
- Each piece feels classic in its design
- The size might be awkward for some
- The stainless steel could be a little stronger
Winco Stainless Steel Julep Strainer
When working with a Julep strainer, you want an easy-to-use design that pairs well with your mixing glasses, pours easily into your serving glass, and produces a mint julep close to what professional bartenders make in professional settings. This option is a good strainer for that need because its stainless steel design makes it nearly as diverse as Hawthorne strainers but easier to use.
- It feels similar to Hawthorne strainers for adaptable use
- This Julep strainer allowed for easy pulp management in your ice
- It should pair with most mixing tin designs for a cleaner cocktail
- The fine mesh net could be stronger
- It may feel a bit costly compared to other mesh strainer options
Viski Summit Copper Julep Strainer
It’s hard to deny the classic style of the Julep strainer and how well it pairs with most mixing glass designs. This strainer is a common choice for professional bartenders and is the perfect strainer if you have multiple mixing tin designs you use. In addition, the rounded and comfortable rod handle may work well for those who have wrist problems, such as arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome.
- The ergonomic design feels very natural
- Adaptable mixing tin uses blend well for ice
- The stainless steel feels very strong
- Some users may mix too quickly and spill drinks
- The oval shape may be hard to store in some homes
Homestia Cocktail Strainer Set Stainless Steel Bar Tool
Do you want a strainer with a comfortable finger rest and an attractive antique copper finish that pairs well with many serving glass styles and is available at a reasonable price? Then, this option may be right for you. It fits perfectly into most home bars, lacks plastic parts, includes a high-quality finish, and has wide holes that allow a little pulp, making it suitable for those who like thick cocktails.
- It may come with a Rose gold color
- Uses only quality products and materials
- It provides a great strainer for pulpy cocktails
- Some users may not like the large holes
- Drinks may be too juicy for some users
Cocktail Kingdom Premium Julep Strainer
Here’s another old-fashioned strainer that may work well in many homes to produce your favorite drink. It matches the 1930s bar scene, one of the classiest and most exciting of all time. We also love the overall mirror finish on the stainless steel. All of these elements make this an excellent choice for someone with an old-fashioned bar style or professional bars with a speakeasy appearance.
- It is the best strainer for a home speakeasy.
- It should fit large and standard Cocktail Kingdom mixing glasses
- The mirror and gold finish is quite attractive
- Some might struggle to fit it on other serving glass designs
- It doesn’t come with separate strainers
Cretoni Professional Julep Strainer
This popular strainer allows for easy straining of common material, such as smaller seeds and ice. Customer feedback remains strong on this well-welded design, claiming that the front prongs’ overall design works perfectly with many types of bar products. And since it comes with three strainers, we suggest it for anyone trying to get their bar started quickly with heavy-duty bar products with good quality designs.
- The professional-grade steel is very strong.
- It should be dishwasher safe for most people’s homes
- It creates an easy straining use for ice and other items
- Some customers were disappointed in how it fit on smaller glasses
- A few customers didn’t like the finger rest
Godinger Dublin Collection Crystal Mixing Glass
Are you looking for a cocktail shaker and a mixing glass in one package? This option may be the best choice for you. It includes a stainless steel strainer that pairs perfectly with the included glass. Though the glass may be small for some users, its overall shape and size should let you produce quick and easy cocktails. We suggest this option for people who primarily serve themselves cocktails.
- The package includes all you need to get started
- The material is surprisingly strong
- Its overall weight is remarkably light
- The glass might feel too small for some users
- The Made-in-China design may feel flimsy to some
Making a Good Buying Decision
If you’re split on these Julep strainers or think you want a Hawthorne strainer instead, read through these reviews again and focus on the most critical details. The high-quality stainless steel common to these cocktail strainers shouldn’t be ignored.
Nor should the overall design and ease of use. You’d want a strainer that feels right for you and fits smoothly and efficiently into your overall cocktail mixing use with minimal difficulty. Don’t hesitate to check these items out online or even in a brick-and-mortar shop to see how well they work for you.
Hey, I’m Joey. I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid and love everything about it. You can find my writing about food, kitchen appliances (such as blenders) and much more. Thanks for stopping by!