There are few things as refreshing as a cold slice of watermelon on a hot summer day. Sweet and juicy, they are messy to eat but worth the juice running down your chin. We want to know if there is more to watermelons than meets the eye. Does watermelon have quercetin?
Quick Answer: No – Watermelon does not contain quercetin.
Quercetin Content of Watermelon
The quercetin content of watermelon is nonexistent, but it is rich in vitamin C, magnesium, and potassium.
Is Watermelon High in Quercetin?
Compared to other foods, watermelon is lower than low in quercetin.
Let’s take a look at how it compares to 5 similar foods.
- Honeydew melons also lack quercetin.
- Cantaloupes are only slightly higher in quercetin than watermelons with 0.01mg/100g.
- Papaya has much more quercetin than watermelon but still only offers 0.05mg/100g.
- Dragon Fruit contains trace amounts of quercetin which is still better than watermelon.
- Peaches contain 0.45mg/100g of quercetin, much more than watermelon’s zero.
University of Malaysia Sabah “Proximate composition, mineral analysis and physicochemical properties of dragon fruit (Hylocereus Undatus)â€™s“: http://eprints.ums.edu.my/6728/
USDA Database for the Flavonoid Content of Selected Foods: https://www.ars.usda.gov/arsuserfiles/80400525/data/flav/flav_r03.pdf