Oranges are the most consumed fruit in America, and the majority of that intake is in the form of juice. It takes about two pounds of oranges to make an eight ounces glass, and in 2020-2021, 497,000 metric tons of orange juice were drunk. That comes out to about 7 gallons for every man, woman, and child in the country. Our question is, does orange juice have quercetin?
Quick Answer: Yes – Orange Juice does contain quercetin. Compared to other similar foods, its quercetin content is moderate.
Quercetin Content of Orange Juice
Orange juice contains 0.25mg/100ml of quercetin, and it is rich in vitamin C and potassium.
Is Orange Juice High in Quercetin?
Compared to other foods, orange juice is reasonably high in quercetin.
Let’s take a look at how it compares to 5 similar foods.
- Red grape juice has 0.53mg/100ml of quercetin, over twice as much as orange juice.
- Canned pineapple juice’s quercetin level is too low to measure accurately, making it a noncontender.
- Tangelo Juice only has trace amounts of quercetin, far less than orange juice.
- Cranberry juice cocktail contains 2.20mg/100ml of quercetin, almost ten times what orange juice offers.
- White grape juice provides 0.09mg/100ml of quercetin, approximately 1/3rd of what orange juice offers.
Statista “ Orange juice domestic consumption in the United States from 2008/09 to 2020/21“: https://www.statista.com/statistics/297320/us-fruit-juice-consumption/#:~:text=In%202020%2F21%2C%20an%20estimated%20497%2C000%20metric%20tons%20of,in%20the%20country.%20Per%20capita%20consumption%20of%20juice
USDA “Characteristics of U.S. Orange Consumption “: https://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/pub-details/?pubid=37013
USDA Database for the Flavonoid Content of Selected Foods: https://www.ars.usda.gov/arsuserfiles/80400525/data/flav/flav_r03.pdf
Hey, I’m Joey. I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid and love everything about it. You can find my writing about food, kitchen appliances (such as blenders) and much more. Thanks for stopping by!