Chamomile tea is most widely known for its calming effects, but studies have found that there are 0ver 120 health-promoting compounds in this delectable brew. From helping to control diabetes to slowing or preventing osteoporosis, chamomile tea is showing great promise in treating a wide array of ailments. Still, our question is, does chamomile have quercetin?
Quick Answer: Yes – Chamomile tea does contain quercetin. Compared to other similar foods, its quercetin content is high.
Quercetin Content of Chamomile Tea
Levels can vary depending on the strength of the tea brewed, but on average, chamomile tea contains 2.90mg/100ml of quercetin and is a rich source of Vitamin A and a wide variety of minerals.
Is Chamomile Tea High in Quercetin?
Compared to other foods, chamomile tea is very high in quercetin.
Let’s take a look at how it compares to 5 similar foods.
- With just 0.05mg/100ml of quercetin, coffee bears little resemblance to chamomile tea.
- Black tea provides 1.99mg/100ml of quercetin, approximately 1mg less per serving.
- Ready-to-drink teas offer 0.74mg/100ml of quercetin, almost ¼ what chamomile tea provides.
- Green tea almost equals chamomile tea providing 2.49mg/100ml.
- Oolong tea has less than half the quercetin content of chamomile tea, offering 1.30mg/100ml.
Medical News Today “What are the benefits of chamomile tea?“: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320031
US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health “Chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla L.): An overview“: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3210003/
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry “Protective Effects of Dietary Chamomile Tea on Diabetic Complications”: http://www.pkdiet.com/pdf/chamomile/chamomile.pdf
USDA Database for the Flavonoid Content of Selected Foods: https://www.ars.usda.gov/arsuserfiles/80400525/data/flav/flav_r03.pdf
Hey, I’m Joey. I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid and love everything about it. You can find my writing about food, kitchen appliances (such as blenders) and much more. Thanks for stopping by!