Green onions, also known as spring onions or scallions, are derived from several species in the Allium genus. What sets them apart from other members of their family is that their bulbs never fully develop, and they generally have a much milder flavor than other types of onions. We do have one burning question, though. Do green onions have quercetin?
Quick Answer: Yes – green onions do contain quercetin. Compared to other similar foods, their quercetin content is very high.
Quercetin Content of Green Onions
Green onions contain 10.68mg/100g, and they are also rich in Vitamins A and C.
Are Green Onions High in Quercetin?
Compared to other foods, green onions are very high in quercetin.
Let’s take a look at how they compare to 5 similar foods.
- A common scallion replacement, leeks only offer 0.09mg/100g of quercetin, 119 times less than green onions.
- Green onions have more than twice the quercetin of chives which provide 4.77mg/100g.
- Garlic chives barely create a blip compared to spring onions, only offering 0.12mg/100g of quercetin.
- Ramps are a quercetin powerhouse even measured against green onions; according to the U.S. NIH, they contain13.00mg/100g.
- Raw red onions are among the top quercetin providers available, containing an amazing 31.77mg/100g, three times the levels found in green onions.
National Center for Biotechnology Information “Quercetin and Its Anti-Allergic Immune Response “: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6273625/#:~:text=The%20forms%20of%20quercetin%20in%20shallot%20flesh%20are,nearly%20reversed%E2%80%9483.3%25%20quercetin%20aglycone%20and%2016.7%25%20quercetin%20glucosides
National Institute of Health “Characterization and Quantification of Major Flavonol Glycosides in Ramps ( Allium tricoccum)” https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31505821/
USDA Database for the Flavonoid Content of Selected Foods: https://www.ars.usda.gov/arsuserfiles/80400525/data/flav/flav_r03.pdf
Hey, I’m Joey. I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid and love everything about it. You can find my writing about food, kitchen appliances (such as blenders) and much more. Thanks for stopping by!