Are you trying to find the best lunch boxes that lock? Then you’ve come to the right place. We’ve compiled 8 amazing options that will keep your food safe and secure in this guide.
But real quick – if you’re looking for an actual lunch box with a combination lock, then check out this product on Amazon.
Check out our other top picks below, or keep reading for the complete guide…
Table of Contents
What to Consider When Buying a Locking Lunch Box
Locking lunchboxes have come a long way since the ubiquitous clangy metal ones of the 1990’s that sported popular characters (He-man!) or TV shows (Alf!) and held a thermos, sandwich, apple, and bag of chips bouncing around inside.
Today there are so many options to choose from that sometimes it isn’t easy to know where to start and what to focus on in your quest.
Whether you are looking for a leakproof lunchbox for your lunch or a durable one for your kids, there are several factors you’ll need to consider.
Compartments allow you to keep your food separate, so the number of items you want to keep separate will determine the number of compartments you are looking for. Having separate compartments will keep the different parts of your salad from becoming soggy before you have a chance to eat it or keep your strawberries from ending up in your curry.
Be sure to choose a design that fits your lifestyle and needs. Pay attention to whether a lunchbox has a handle. If it doesn’t, you may need to purchase a separate carrying case or be prepared to throw it in a handbag or backpack.
Focusing on a lunchbox’s leakproof abilities isn’t just for people with an affinity for soups. If you’re going to have, for instance, freshly washed raspberries in your lunchbox, you don’t want the juice that they expel to leak over onto your sandwich in another compartment. Be sure to choose a leakproof lunchbox if you plan to include any “wet” food (think: fruits, veggies, hummus) in your lunch.
Keep in mind that the bulkier lunchboxes may be harder to toss into your bag as you head to work, so while you want a lunchbox that will hold enough food to stop your stomach from growling, it also needs to be easily portable.
Is it going to last? Or will you be purchasing a new lunchbox again next month? You want to check the reviews to look for comments regarding the durability of a product. Choose a lunchbox that lasts a long time for the majority of purchasers. This will save you money in the long run, even if you pay a little more upfront.
“You get what you pay for” is the adage that certainly rings true. While you don’t want to break the bank over purchasing a lunchbox, paying fewer extra dollars will increase the likelihood of choosing a durable and long-lasting product.
Be sure to select a lunchbox that will be large enough to hold the type of lunch you want to carry. For instance, a thin material, like steel, will allow a lunchbox to hold more food than a lunchbox of the same size made of thick, hard plastic. Check for the amount of food that the lunchbox will have.
Insulation maintains a safe temperature for your food, particularly if you cannot keep it in a fridge. You want a lunchbox that will keep your hot food hot or cold food.
Best Lunch Boxes That Lock Reviews
Bento Choice 3-in-1 Locking Lunch Box
If you want to avoid plastic in favor of more eco-friendly and sustainable options, this is the lunch box for you. Materials made entirely of stainless steel, this 3-compartment lunchbox will not only hold food that is good for you, but it’s good for the environment, too.
As a sweet bonus, it comes with its own cutlery (a fork and spoon that fit inside the lunchbox) so no more having to remember to pack cutlery or resorting to plasticware that is decidedly unfriendly to the environment.
- It is made out of eco-friendly stainless steel.
- Dishwasher safe and won’t rust, erode or develop mold.
- It comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- Built with 3 compartments
- It holds 6 cups of food.
- Stainless steel makes it heavier than other lunchboxes.
- Some have complained that after the first few uses, the lock and seal, well, don’t lock and seal anymore.
Related Article: Best Insulated Lunch Bag for Adults (Top 7 Options)
Click and Go Locking Meal Prep Containers
If the number of compartments you need in your lunch changes day by day, this may be the lunchbox for you. It has 3 removable compartments within one larger compartment.
So one day, you can take all the compartments out to carry your leftover lasagna or add them back the next day to separate the components of your salad. The price for this lunchbox is on the cheaper side, as you can order a set of three in one purchase. Purchasing multiples of it makes this lunchbox perfect for meal-prepping.
- Removable compartments (up to 3) allow versatility in meal prepping.
- Freezer safe.
- These lunchboxes are stackable, making them great for storing meal prep in the fridge.
- It holds a little less than 5 cups of food on the smaller side.
- It is supposed to be dishwasher and microwave safe, but some buyers have complained that their compartments are warped in the microwave or dishwasher.
Bentgo Kids Locking Shark Lunch Box
This lunchbox has the perfect size compartments to create rainbow-colored, happy meals if you have small children. It is made of a durable hard plastic that you can trust your kids won’t destroy, and it has 5 compartments, including a small one for dips.
These compartments will hold a half sandwich, fruit, veggie, snack crackers, and hummus, making it the right size for a well-rounded meal, and it is leakproof, so nothing spills over from one compartment to the next.
- 5 compartments that are the right size for kid lunches (almost 3 cups of food)
- A variety of kid-friendly designs
- Drop-proof design that keeps it from getting damaged when your kids inevitably drop it.
- Bonus: purchases from Bentgo support the 501(c)(3) non-profit, Feed the Children
- Only the inner compartment is dishwasher safe. The outer case must be washed by hand.
- For some purchasers, the latches ended up breaking.
You Might Also Like: Top 10 Best Lunch Box for Construction Workers
A2S Complete Meal Prep Insulated Kit with Locking Boxes
If you want to go all out on lunch, this lunchbox set is the real deal of meal prepping. It includes a cooler bag, three boxes with removable compartments, a thermos, ice gel, and stainless steel utensils. Everything you need for a whole day on the go.
- Cooler with gel pack to keep your lunches cool
- Bonus utensils and thermos so that you have everything you need for lunch on the go.
- Removable compartments (up to 3) for versatility in food storage
- There were complaints in the reviews about the stitching and zipper coming loose or undone on the cooler.
- Some said it was smaller than it appears pictured – it claims to hold 700 ML or about 3 cups of food.
YOHOOLYO Electric Lunch Box and Food Heater Portable
Suppose you don’t have access to a microwave to warm up your lunch (or generally like to avoid the people that congregate around it at the office) but crave the ability to enjoy warm, comfort foods on the go. In that case, this lunchbox may be the solution you didn’t know you were looking for it.
You can warm it up right at your desk or wherever you may be by simply plugging it in. To keep you safe from burns, it only heats food to around 158 ℉.
- The removable stainless steel compartment makes it easy to clean.
- Includes its fork and spoon
- Power cable allows you to warm your food anywhere, right in the box – even without a microwave.
- Handle attached for easy carrying
- It takes about 40 minutes to warm your food, so you need to think about lunchtime ahead of time.
- The company admits that it is not leakproof, so you must always keep it bottom down in the bag, or it may leak.
- Some users complain that the cord is too short (31 inches in length)
Read Also: Best Lunch Boxes for Nurses (Top 8 Options)
Omiebox with Kids Thermos
Like the Bentgo box above, this lunchbox is also designed for children, with 3-4 compartments (depending on where you want to put the moveable divider). This box is extra nifty, though, because it can be used for both hot and cold foods simultaneously.
The company admits that the sandwich portion of the box is not leakproof, but the thermos container for hot food is when placed there. The thermos will keep hot food warm (for 4 hours), while the rest of the lunchbox maintains a cool temperature for the cool foods. That’s pretty cool.
- Stores both hot and cold foods in the same box
- A movable divider and removable thermos create a versatile design to suit your child’s lunch needs for the day.
- It comes apart for easy cleaning.
- They are designed with a handle, so there is no need to buy a separate outer carrying case.
- Some people complained that the thermos didn’t keep the food warm as they would have liked.
Travelismo Electric Lunch Box
Unlike the electric lunchbox mentioned above, this one has the bonus ability to warm your food in your car (not just the office)!
After 30 minutes to an hour, your food will be as hot as if it just came out of the microwave without you having to make small talk to Ted from accounting while it warms.
- 2 different types of power plugs for charging in the office or the car
- 2 compartments for separating food
- Handle for carrying
- Some users claimed that it was too small.
Recommended Article: 14 Best Lunch Boxes That Fit in a Backpack
Simple Modern Locking Food Jar
If you’re not in any need of fancy bento boxes or electrical contraptions, but you just want something that will keep your food at the right temperature, this simple food jar may be what you are looking for.
Whether you’re carrying soup, stew, chili, ice cream, or baby food, this insulated design of this jar will keep your food at the temperature that you want it. It comes in a wide variety of colors and designs so that you can choose the best suits you.
- Double-walled and vacuum insulated, keeping your food hot or cold for hours
- Wide mouth design for easy eating and easy cleaning
- Wide variety of colors and designs to choose from
- Some people reported problems with the gasket in the lid breaking
Best of luck with your lunches!
Related Article: Top 14 Best Lunch Boxes That Look Like Purses
Hey, I’m Joey. I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid and love everything about it. You can find my writing about food, kitchen appliances (such as blenders) and much more. Thanks for stopping by!