Everyone loves ice cream – and those that are into healthy eating know that ice cream comes in many different forms. There’s fruit-based ice cream or “nice cream” and then the traditional ice cream made of heavy cream (or plant-based alternatives), flavoring, and sugar.
When it comes to making ice cream at home, most people think that you need an ice cream maker. Is this true?
The real question is – can you make ice cream in a blender?
Quick Answer: You can make ice cream in a blender, but it’s not the same type of “ice cream” that you might be familiar with. Most ice cream made in a blender is known as “nice cream” which is made from a frozen fruit base. A blender cannot “freeze” while blending the same way an ice cream maker does. Using frozen fruit as a base allows you to create the ice cream texture without a need to “freeze and churn” the way you would with an ice cream maker.
How to Make Ice Cream in a Blender
There are lots of different ways to make ice cream in a blender, but our favorite method is to use frozen bananas, a bit of plant-based milk, and then whatever kind of flavoring you want. Some flavoring ideas include vanilla beans, cacao powder, mint leaves or mint extract, strawberries, raspberries, mangos, or a combination of all of the above!
- Start with bananas that have been frozen (without the skin). Break them up and put them into the blender.
- Add your desired flavors (see above).
- Add a few splashes of plant-based milk. Unsweetened soy milk, almond milk, or oat milk are all great options. The less liquid you add the thicker the ice cream will be.
- Blend until smooth like ice cream. You may have to pause between blending cycles or use a tamper if your blender has one. The less liquid that you use, the more likely it is that the ingredients won’t easily form a “vortex”. However, by starting and stopping you’re giving the frozen ingredients a chance to make their way back to the blades.
- Experiment with as many flavor combinations as your heart desires!
Can You Use a Blender Instead of an Ice Cream Maker?
You cannot use a blender the same way that you would an ice cream maker. A blender cannot churn and freeze the same way an ice cream maker does. In order to use a blender to make ice cream, you need to start with frozen ingredients (as your base) or make your ice cream and throw it into the freezer afterward to harden.
Can I Churn Ice Cream in a Blender?
No, a blender cannot churn ice cream because a blender cannot get cold and freeze ice cream while blending.
Is There a Blender That Makes Ice Cream?
Almost any blender that’s above 900 watts can make ice cream the way that we’ve described above. The top blender brands we recommend for this are Nutribullet, Vitamix, or Blendtec.
What Happens When You Put Ice Cream in a Blender?
If you put ice cream in a blender it will quickly turn into liquid. The longer you leave it in, the friction from the blades will heat up the ice cream and it will eventually melt. You can use ice cream in a blender to make thick shakes that are fun to enjoy with a straw.