Despite many popular misconceptions, microwaves are actually a great way to cook things! Research has shown that cooking vegetables in the microwave is a great for preserving nutrients as they aren't as liable to get lost in the cooking water (1). They're also quick and easy when you're in a hurry. The downside is that they are rather limited from a culinary perspective.
Ovens are great for cooking certain things, such as potatoes, and making things crispy. However, they lack in their ability to cook things quickly. Not to mention they take up a ton of space! Finding the best microwave toaster oven combination will give you access to multiple cooking methods all in one place!
Our Picks for Microwave Toaster/Convection Oven Combos
**Click any of the links above to read customer reviews and check prices on Amazon.
Key Considerations for Picking the Right One
Although microwave toaster ovens come with a lot of bells and whistles, there aren't that many out there on the market. That being said, your most important consideration is probably going to be size. Unless you're building your kitchen from scratch, you probably have a limited space to put a new microwave whether its above your range or straight on a counter-top. We have both over-the-range as well as counter-top microwaves on this list.
Some other important considerations to make include:
- Wattage: Most of these combination microwaves are going to have a decent wattage to heat things rather quickly. A lower wattage isn't a big deal, it just takes more time to heat things up. Most low wattage microwaves are less expensive and limited in functionality, including convection.
- Warranty: Nothing is worse than a manufacturer defect messing up an expensive product that you just bought. A warranty that spans a year or more gives you peace of mind that you're protected even if you got a dud.
- Construction material: You want something that's sturdy, easy to clean, and won't easily absorb smells. Stainless steel is great, but all of the microwaves on this list have high quality materials that will fit the bill.
- Extra functions that might seem useful, but there is a lot of overlap with these. The extra pre-programmed function are always marketed on microwaves, but at the end of the day they all kind of do the same thing.
Microwave + Convection Oven Combos - What is Convection Anyway?
Normal toaster ovens just heat up via their heating elements and heat the food. The heat radiates from those elements and that's it. Convection ovens on the other hand uses a fan to circulate the air inside the oven, allowing the heat to evenly hit the food from all angles. This results in superior even heat distribution and tends to cook things faster.
More About Our Top Picks
Cuisinart CMW-200 1.2-Cubic-Foot Convection Microwave Oven with Grill
Key Attributes and Their Functions
- Size (in inches): The Cuisinart CMW-200 measures in at 21.20L x 19.00W x 12.20H. It's a counter-top unit and not necessarily designed to be over-the-range like the Sharp unit linked below.
- Stainless Steel Interior: Having a stainless steel interior is ideal because it doesn't absorb odors like some other materials might.
- Functionality: It's got a ton of pre-programmed settings and probably more buttons than it needs.
- Warranty: It has a three year warranty which is pretty good for this type of appliance. Some super high end appliances and expensive appliances have longer warranties (Like a Vitamix or a Blendtec).
Samsung MC12J8035CT 1.2 cu. ft. Countertop Convection Microwave
- Sizing (in inches): This Samsung measures 18.5 x 20.8 x 15.9 and is a counter unit, which is surprising because of its next feature.
- Vertical Door: This Samsung unit actually opens a bit differently compared to most microwaves that you've seen in the past. Most microwaves open horizontally, but this one opens top to bottom, much like a traditional larger oven or most traditional toaster ovens. This could be a huge space saver if you've got small counter tops as it won't hit other items on the left or right of the counter.
- Materials: Scratch resistant ceramic enamel interior is meant to be easier to clean and more scratch resistant than stainless steel, but probably not that important as most people don't spend too much time looking inside of their microwaves.
- Warranty: This microwave comes with a one-year parts and labor warranty and a ten year parts warranty. This is a bit of a trade off as its hard to estimate what the labor costs are going to actually be, depends if you know a handy-man (or woman) or not.
Samsung MC11K7035CG 1.1 cu. ft. Countertop Power Convection Microwave Oven
- Sizing (in inches): This next Samsung unit measures 20.5 x 19.9 x 12.1 inches, and also has a vertical door opening from top to bottom.
- Materials and Functionality: Despite being different units, both of these Samsung's have the same interiors and tons of pre-programmed settings. As with all microwaves, there's a bit of overlap and they kind of all do the same thing, so we won't go too deep into it.
- Warranty: A quick search on the Samsung website revealed that this has the same warranty as the unit above - 10 year parts - 1 year parts and labor. This is not surprising since they are both very similar units from the same manufacturer.
Sharp R1874T 850W Over-the-Range Convection Microwave
- Sizing (in inches): This Sharp unit measures 29-15/16 x 16-11/32 x 15-9/32. It's an over the range unit which means its meant to go above your stove and not on the counter-top. Please note: This is the only over the range convection microwave that we could find so if you're set on one of these, this might be your only option.
- Functionality: This unit comes with a ton of different buttons and functions - 12 convection programs and and 8 microwave sensor programs. As we said earlier, the average user will probably just stick to one or two functions and sometimes having so many can be a bit overkill.
- Warranty: According to the Sharp website it has a 1 year limited parts/labor warranty and 6 years for the magnetron tube.
GE Profile PEB9159SJSS 22" Countertop Convection/Microwave Oven
Author's Note: Once upon a time, I lived with my father-in-law and my husband in the same house and this was the exact microwave that we had. We would often occupy the oven space when cooking dinner and my father-in-law (who would just eat something small most of the time), used the convection function on the microwave. It was pretty convenient for everyone and we never had any issues!
- Sizing (in inches): This GE model measures 22 x 20 x 13 inches and is another counter-top unit.
- Functionality: It actually is quite simple in terms of the amount of buttons and functions it has (which is a good thing in our opinion). Most of the functions are microwave related.
- Warranty: According to GE's website, it comes with a 1-year parts and 1-year labor warranty. This is a bit low compared to the other ones, but like I mentioned earlier, we never had an issue.
With a limited market for convection microwave oven combos, there isn't much to choose from. There doesn't appear to be one unit leading the pack where we can say that we'd 100% recommend that one. If you have a small kitchen, an RV, or need extra convection oven space for multiple household users, then any of these should fit your needs.