If you're looking for the best toaster oven microwave combo? You're in the right place!
See our top picks below:
Last Updated: 8/28/2020
|Image||Product||Where to Buy|
|Toshiba EC042A5C-BS Microwave Oven with Convection Function||View on Amazon|
|Panasonic FlashXpress Toaster Oven||View on Amazon|
|Toshiba 6 In 1 Multifunctional 20" 1 cu.ft. Countertop Convection Microwave||View on Wayfair|
| Samsung MC12J8035CT 1.2 cu. ft. Countertop Convection Microwave||View on Amazon|
| Sharp R1874T 850W Over-the-Range Convection Microwave||View on Amazon|
See all microwave oven guides here.
Top Overall Pick: The FlashXpress
While not technically a microwave toaster oven combo, the Panasonic Flash Xpress has been used by many people to actually replace their microwave.
If you're looking for the the ultimate combo, this might be for you. It's the perfect size and heats things up quickly with its double infrared heating and ceramic plate, two quartz elements and even includes a crumb tray for an improved cooking experience. Many users report rarely ever using their microwave after getting their hands on this machine!
Pick for the Counter-Top: Toshiba EC042A5C-BS
This microwave toaster oven combo with convection is one of the newest products of it's kind on the market.
They've made it to be extremely affordable. It has a simple interface which makes it easy to nuke things quickly or crisp them up with the convection. It also has an auto cook function and auto bake menu.
The only downside is that it's designed specifically for the counter-top.
Pick for Value and Versatility: Toshiba 6 in 1 Multifunctional Countertop Microwave
If you're looking to get the most bang for your buck, you'll probably love this Toshiba model. By combining six different kitchen appliances into one, it helps you save a ton of space.
It's simple to wipe it down if there's any sort of splatter when you cook any of your kitchen menu items.
Pick for Above the Range (RVs and Campers): Sharp R1874T 850W
This seems to be the convection toaster + microwave oven of choice if you're looking for one for your camper or RV.
That's because it saves space and has a ventilation system which is very important if you're living and driving in a small space so as to avoid potent smell of foods like tuna or sardines into your bedroom!
You may head over to the Sharp website for a digital recipe book that you can use with this machine.
Best Microwave Toaster Oven Combo Options
Editor's Note: Frankly, this isn't a true microwave in the traditional sense of the word, but we feel like it could easily replace any convection microwave with its cooking and microwave power.
There are toast, waffle, reheat, frozen pizza, quick reheat, and hash brown buttons for a fast heat-up or cooking option. On the bottom, you can also choose from a range of cooking temperature control and set a timer, just like on an oven, so you won't be needing a separate kitchen timer. You may want to buy a separate baking pan to go with this. No pre-heating required, so it's definitely not going to hurt your budget for electricity bill. This sleek and multi-purpose machine will help your kitchen stay organized.
- Size (in inches): The overall dimensions of this Panasonic toaster oven are 12 x 13 x 10.25 inches, which is fairly compact.
- Instant Heat: Unlike with other ovens, you don't need to wait for this one to reheat which significantly reduces cooking time.
- Functionality: The buttons and temperature control on the control panel are pretty straightforward. You won't struggle to figure out how to use it.
- Warranty: Amazon states on the product page that the toaster oven has a limited warranty for one year. This is consistent with what it says on the Panasonic site.
- Durability: Made from sleek steel, you can expect this particular appliance to be built durably.
Editor's Note: Out of everything on this list, this product seems to be the newest and most well-liked microwave toaster oven by customers.
But the best part is that it doesn't come at a high-end price point.
Though not a smart oven, it has smart sensor cooking that detects humidity level of the food then adjusts time and temperature range.
- Size (in inches): The exterior of this Toshiba microwave convection toaster oven combo measures 21. 8 x 21. 0 inches. 5 cubic feet and it houses a turn table which is 13.
- Stainless Steel Interior: Just like many of the other options on this list, the interior of this product is stainless steel which makes it quick and easy to wipe and clean up.
- Functionality: Simple interface, you can even combine convection toaster oven and microwave which makes it extremely efficient and flexible, which is one of the top features of this option. It even has a child lock feature for your peace of mind. It combines auto bake, defrosting and auto roast menus.
- Warranty: This machine only comes with a 1-year warranty, which is pretty standard compared to most appliances of this price range.
- Price: At the time of writing, this machine is a true value. Although this doesn't have inverter technology, you'd be hard pressed to find a microwave oven and toaster oven separately for what you'll likely pay for this machine.
If you're looking for amazing multi-functional capabilities, this Toshiba model lives up to its name. Although not as multifunctional as a smart oven, its top features include a microwave oven, air fryer, convection toaster oven, dehydrator, warmer, and even a grill rack inside it.
Though a spacesaver, the drawback is that it has a bit of a smaller capacity than other combos on this list.
- Sizing (in inches): This Toshiba model measures 12.83 x 20 x 20.47 inches and is another counter-top unit.
- Functionality: This model has tons of functionality. You're getting a microwave, convection oven, air fryer, dehydrator, and a grilling element here. As such, it has a lot of buttons and cooking settings to play with. Like most Toshiba models, it also has a child safety lock feature. Although not an inverter microwave, it's an excellent deal.
Not only does this Bosch microwave toaster oven combo have an impressive 1.8 cubic foot capacity, but it has an equally impressive 1450-watt power levels. You can be sure it has all the cooking power you'd need to cook food of virtually any kind.
The LED display is crisp and clear. Like an oven, it also has a vent fan that helps get read of steam and smoke.
- Sizing (in inches): This Bosch model measures at 16.5 x 29.88 x 15.88 inches. It mounts over your stove, so be prepared to put it on a wall.
There are quite a few buttons and controls on this model. You get the standard popcorn and +30 second buttons you see on the average microwave, but then it also has a convection button and sensor reheat and cooking modes.
Editor's Note: This was one of the first products with top features on the market and was available as early as 2012. That said, I don't even see it widely available anymore so you might have trouble finding it.
It has a classic white look that's a bit more retro than some of the other models on this list. Given the fact that there are some better options nowadays, I would probably only but it if it matched my decor.
- Size (in inches): The Cuisinart CMW-200 measures in at 21.20L x 19.00W x 12.20H and a 1.2 cubic foot capacity. It's a counter-top unit and not necessarily designed to be over-the-range like the Sharp unit linked below.
- Stainless Steel Interior: Having a steel interior is ideal because it doesn't absorb odors like some other materials might.
- Functionality: It's got a ton of pre-programmed settings for all cooking options if you're looking for that, and probably more buttons than it needs. You can be sure that it can keep warm any frozen food or keep leftover food warm. It also has a grill rack for your grilling needs.
- Warranty: It has a one year warranty which is pretty good for this type of appliance. Some super high end appliances and expensive appliances have longer warranties.
Editor's Note: This product hit the market around 2015 and has since been available as the only one of it's kind (that I can find anyway).
But while it may look nice and does the job with its 10 power levels, i.e. for food to keep warm, it doesn't have the shiny mirror design that many Samsung models have. Also, many people report to be unsatisfied with the way Samsung services this microwave oven. Some folks report the microwave not working properly and Samsung doing little to nothing to fix it.
Given the other microwave combo ovens out there on the market today, I probably wouldn't get this one unless I needed the door handle that opens vertically.
- Sizing (in inches): This Samsung measures 18.8 x 15.
- Vertical Door: This Samsung unit actually opens a bit differently compared to most microwaves that you've seen in the past. Most microwaves open horizontally, but this one opens top to bottom, much like a traditional larger oven or most traditional toaster ovens. This could be a huge kitchen space saver if you've got small counter tops as it won't hit other items on the left or right of the counter.
- Materials: Scratch resistant ceramic enamel interior is meant to be easier to clean and more scratch resistant than stainless steel, but probably not that important as most people don't spend too much time looking inside of their microwaves.
- Warranty: This microwave comes with a one-year parts and labor warranty and a ten year parts warranty. This is a bit of a trade off as its hard to estimate what the labor costs are going to actually be, depends if you know a handy-man (or woman) or not.
Editor's Note: If you need a microwave that goes above the range, then this might just be the option for you.Many of the major complaints were reported due to shipping and not from the product itself.
It's meant to improve your cooking experience in RV's or campers which have little room on the counter for any kind of appliance.Since this is one of the few that goes ATR (above the range), it also comes with ventilation options that are necessary for small spaces like RV's.
Sizing (in inches): This Sharp unit measures 29-15/16 x 16-11/32 x 15-9/32. Please note: This is the only over the range convection microwave that we could find so if you're set on one of these, this might be your only option.
Key Considerations for Picking a Top Microwave Toaster Oven Combo
Although microwave toaster oven combos come with a lot of bells and whistles, there aren't that many out there on the market. That being said, your most important consideration is probably going to be size. Unless you're building your kitchen from scratch, you probably have a limited space to put a new microwave whether its above your range or straight on a counter-top. We have both over-the-range as well as counter-top microwaves on this list.
Some other important considerations to make include:
Most of these combination microwaves are going to have a decent wattage to heat things rather quickly. A lower wattage (such as some 1.5. microwave with around 1000 watts) isn't a big deal but may add to the cooking time. Most low wattage microwaves are less expensive and limited in functionality, including convection.
Nothing is worse than a manufacturer defect messing up an expensive product that you just bought. A warranty that spans a year or more gives you peace of mind that you're protected even if you got a dud.
You want something that's sturdy, easy to clean, and won't easily absorb smells. Stainless steel is great, but all of the microwaves on this list have high quality materials that will fit the bill.
These might seem useful, but there is a lot of overlap with these. The extra pre-programmed function are always marketed on microwaves, but at the end of the day they all kind of do the same thing.
Top Brand Names: Toshiba, Panasonic, etc.
For an major appliance like this, it's always best to go with a brand you can rely on. We'd recommend staying away from the many no-name brands that are available online now.
Should You Cook in a Microwave?
Despite many popular misconceptions, microwaves are actually a great way to cook things!Research has shown that cooking vegetables in the microwave oven is a great for preserving nutrients as they aren't as liable to get lost in the cooking water. They're also quick and easy when you're in a hurry. The downside is that they are rather limited from a culinary perspective.
Ovens are great for cooking certain things, such as potatoes, and making things crispy. However, they lack in their ability to cook things quickly. Not to mention they take up a ton of space! Finding the best microwave toaster oven combination will give you access to multiple cooking methods all in one place!
Are you searching for a cheap but high quality microwave? Read our guide for the Best Microwave for College Dorm Room so you can decide which one to purchase.
What is Convection?
Normal toaster ovens just heat up via their heating elements and heat the food. The heat radiates from those elements and that's it. Convection ovens on the other hand uses a fan to circulate the air inside the oven, allowing the heat to hit the food from all angles, for even cooking. This results in superior even heat distribution and tends to cook things faster.
Is Convection Better for Cooking Food?
In my opinion, I've always thought that convection ovens were far better than non-convection. With convection, everything cooks quicker and always turns out much more crispy and delicious. Without it, you have to spend more time and effort flipping foods and moving them around for even cooking.
Therefore, if I had the choice between a convection and a normal oven I would choose convection almost every time.
Can a Microwave Toaster Oven Combo Replace your Toaster Oven?
Any of these microwave oven options can indeed replace your toaster oven. Much like a counter-top oven they take some time to heat up.
This means that while you might not need a toaster oven, it would be helpful to have a bread toaster handy on the counter. It's much easier to pop a piece of bread or toast in if you're in a hurry and then wait for it to pop up.
With all of the products listed here, making something like toast would be slightly less convenient, but you certainly could do it.But again, compared to a regular toaster oven (not designed for toast) any of these microwaves can do the job (for food to keep warm, among many other things) just as well.
Are These Better Than a Normal Oven?
Like all appliances that try to do more than one thing, a microwave toaster combo isn't going to be as good as something designed for a single purpose.
The main downside to these combination microwave toaster oven units is that they are smaller than a standard oven, although this of course depends on your family size.
When it comes to over-the-range options, we’d most suggest the this Sharp model. Choices can be a little limited when it comes to over-the-range models, but we felt this was a solid pick with a lot of settings to choose and tweak.
Our favorite overall countertop model was the this Toshiba. To start with, it’s pretty budget-friendly, and it can do everything you need, whether it’s quickly zap something in the microwave or get something crispy with the convection function.