Looking for a microwave toaster oven combo? We managed to find 5 beautiful options that will allow you to cook via convection oven heat or with the microwave oven.
If you're short on space and can't get a regular oven, you won't want to miss these...
See all microwave oven guides here.
Best Microwave Toaster oven Combo Options
Out of all of the choices on this list, here are the two options that I narrowed down to be the best choices based on the research...
Pick for the Counter-Top: Toshiba EC042A5C-BS
This toaster oven with convection function is one of the newest products of it's kind on the market.
Many of the other microwave oven combo models have been around for many years, sometimes even a decade or above. It has a simple interface which makes it easy to nuke things quickly or crisp them up with the convection function.
The only downside is that it's designed specifically for the counter-top.
If you want to save space or hook it up to a range, then consider this next microwave toaster oven...
Pick for Above the Range (RVs and Campers): Sharp R1874T 850W
For folks who use campers and RV's this seems to be the microwave convection oven microwave of choice.
That's because it saves space and has a ventilation system which is very important if you're living and driving in a small space.
That's why an Over-the-Range Convection Microwave Toaster Oven Combo
Key Considerations for Picking the Right One
Although microwave toaster oven combos come with a lot of bells and whistles,
Some other important considerations to make include:
- Wattage: Most of these combination microwaves are going to have a decent wattage to heat things rather quickly. A lower wattage isn't a big deal, it just takes more time to heat things up. Most low wattage microwaves are less expensive and limited in functionality, including convection.
- Warranty: Nothing is worse than a manufacturer defect messing up an expensive product that you just bought. A warranty that spans a year or more gives you peace of mind that you're protected even if you got a dud.
- Construction material: You want something that's sturdy, easy to clean, and won't easily absorb smells. Stainless steel is great, but all of the microwaves on this list have high quality materials that will fit the bill.
- Extra functions: that might seem useful, but there is a lot of overlap with these. The extra pre-programmed function are always marketed on microwaves, but at the end of the day they all kind of do the same thing.
Should You Cook in a Microwave?
Despite many popular misconceptions, microwaves are actually a great way to cook things!Research has shown that cooking vegetables in the microwave oven is a great for preserving nutrients as they aren't as liable to get lost in the cooking water. They're also quick and easy when you're in a hurry.
Ovens are great for cooking certain things, such as potatoes, and making things crispy. However, they lack in their ability to cook things quickly.
What is Convection?
Normal toaster ovens just heat up via their heating elements and heat the food. The heat radiates from those elements and that's it. Convection ovens on the other hand uses a fan to circulate the air inside the oven, allowing the heat to evenly hit the food from all angles. This results in superior even heat distribution and tends to cook things faster.
Is Convection Better?
In my opinion, I've always thought that convection ovens were far better than non-convection. With convection, everything cooks quicker and always turns out much more crispy and delicious.
Therefore, if I had the choice between a convection oven and a normal oven I would choose convection almost every time.
Can You Replace your Toaster Oven?
Any of these microwave oven options can indeed replace your toaster oven. Much like a counter-top oven they take some time to heat up.
This means that while you might not need a toaster oven, it would be helpful to have a bread toaster handy on the counter. It's much easier to pop a piece of bread or toast in if you're in a hurry and then wait for it to pop up.
With all of the products listed here, making something like toast would be slightly less convenient, but you certainly could do it.
Are These Better Than a Normal Oven?
Like all appliances that try to do more than one thing, a microwave toaster oven isn't going to be as good as something designed for a single purpose.
The main downside to these units is that they are smaller than a standard oven. Don't expect to fit huge cookie sheets or oven safe trays inside of them.
And even though they work, don't expect it to work as efficiently as a regular oven. They're great for making a meal for 1 or 2 people, but they aren't designed to bake huge items or be used to entertain loads of guests.
Best Microwave Convection Oven Combos Reviewed
Toshiba EC042A5C-BS Microwave Oven with Convection Function Smart Sensor and LED Lighting 1.5 Cu.ft Black Stainless
Editor's Note: Out of everything on this list, this product seems to be the newest and most well-liked by customers. It comes in two colors (black stainless and stainless steel) so it can fit nearly any decor while looking sleek and high-end.
But the best part is that it doesn't come at a high-end price point. Many years ago, these type of combo microwave ovens were much more expensive, but products like this one make it available to almost anyone.
- Size (in inches): The exterior of this Toshiba microwave convection oven measures 21. 8 x 21. 0 inches. 5 cubic feet and it houses a turn table which is 13.
- Stainless Steel Interior: Just like many of the other options on this list, the interior of this product is stainless steel which makes it quick and easy to wipe and clean up.
Functionality: It has a very simple interface that doesn't look much different from a standard microwave. You can even combine convection and microwave which makes it extremely efficient and flexible.
- Warranty: This machine only comes with a 1-year warranty, which is pretty standard compared to most appliances of this price range.
- Price: At the time of writing, this machine is a true value. You'd be hard pressed to find a microwave oven and toaster oven separately for what you'll likely pay for this machine.
Cuisinart CMW-200 1.2-Cubic-Foot Convection Microwave Oven with Grill
Editor's Note: This was one of the first products on the market and was available as early as 2012. That said, I don't even see it widely available anymore so you might have trouble finding it.
It has a classic white look that's a bit more retro than some of the other models on this list. Given the fact that there are some better options nowadays, I would probably only but it if it matched my decor.
- Size (in inches): The Cuisinart CMW-200 measures in at 21.20L x 19.00W x 12.20H. It's a counter-top unit and not necessarily designed to be over-the-range like the Sharp unit linked below.
- Stainless Steel Interior: Having a stainless steel interior is ideal because it doesn't absorb odors like some other materials might.
- Functionality: It's got a ton of pre-programmed settings and probably more buttons than it needs.
- Warranty: It has a one year warranty which is pretty good for this type of appliance. Some super high end appliances and expensive appliances have longer warranties (Likea high-end smoothie blender)
Samsung MC12J8035CT 1. ft.
Editor's Note: This product hit the market around 2015 and has since been available as the only one of it's kind (that I can find anyway).
But while it may look nice, many people report to be unsatisfied with the way Samsung services this microwave. Some folks report the microwave not working properly and Samsung doing little to nothing to fix it.
Given the other microwave combo ovens out there on the market today, I probably wouldn't get this one unless I needed the vertical door.
- Sizing (in inches): This Samsung measures 18.8 x 15.
- Vertical Door: This Samsung unit actually opens a bit differently compared to most microwaves that you've seen in the past. Most microwaves open horizontally, but this one opens top to bottom, much like a traditional larger oven or most traditional toaster ovens. This could be a huge space saver if you've got small counter tops as it won't hit other items on the left or right of the counter.
- Materials: Scratch resistant ceramic enamel interior is meant to be easier to clean and more scratch resistant than stainless steel, but probably not that important as most people don't spend too much time looking inside of their microwaves.
- Warranty: This microwave comes with a one-year parts and labor warranty and a ten year parts warranty. This is a bit of a trade off as its hard to estimate what the labor costs are going to actually be, depends if you know a handy-man (or woman) or not.
Samsung MC11K7035CG 1. ft.
Although the vertical door is cool, I would probably not pick this one as my first choice.
- Sizing (in inches): This next Samsung unit measures 20.5 x 19.9 x 12.1 inches, and also has a vertical door opening from top to bottom.
- Materials and Functionality: Despite being different units, both of these Samsung's have the same interiors and tons of pre-programmed settings. As with all microwaves, there's a bit of overlap and they kind of all do the same thing, so we won't go too deep into it.
- Warranty: A quick search on the Samsung website revealed that this has the same warranty as the unit above - 10 year parts - 1 year parts and labor. This is not surprising since they are both very similar units from the same manufacturer.
Sharp R1874T 850W Over-the-Range Convection Microwave
Editor's Note: If you need a microwave that goes above the range, then this might just be the option for you.
It's great for RV's or campers which have little room on the counter for any kind of appliance.
Sizing (in inches): This Sharp unit measures 29-15/16 x 16-11/32 x 15-9/32. Please note: This is the only over the range convection microwave that we could find so if you're set on one of these, this might be your only option.
GE Profile PEB9159SJSS 22" Countertop Convection/Microwave Oven
Author's Note: Once upon a time, I lived with my father-in-law and my husband in the same house and this was the exact microwave toaster oven that we had.
- Sizing (in inches): This GE model measures 22 x 20 x 13 inches and is another counter-top unit.
It actually is quite simple in terms of the amount of buttons and functions it has (which is a good thing in our opinion).
- Warranty: According to GE's
website, it comes with a 1-year parts and 1-year labor warranty.
With a limited market for convection microwave oven combos, there isn't much to choose from. There doesn't appear to be one unit leading the pack where we can say that we'd 100% recommend that one.