Do you love to save time by meal prepping? If this is you and you also love soup, then you need to find the best container for freezing soup safely…
In this list we’ll cover 10 containers that are freezer-safe and won’t let your soup get freezer burn. Meal planning just got a whole lot easier and with these containers, you’ll have an instant meal at your fingertips.
Table of Contents
|Image||Product||Where to Buy|
|Rubbermaid Premier Food Storage Containers||View on Amazon|
|Snapware Airtight Food Storage Container with Fliptop Lid||View on Amazon|
|Bayco Glass Airtight Containers with Lids||View on Amazon|
|Vremi Silicone Food Storage Containers||View on Amazon|
|Plastic Deli Food Storage Container with Airtight Lids||View on Amazon|
Best Soup Freezing Containers
These Tritan plastic containers by Rubbermaid are shatterproof and also resist odors so you can use them multiple times without a problem. The 14-cup size is perfect for that big batch of chili or stew so you’ll be able to have ready-made meals all week.
They are freezer-safe and can also be microwaved to thaw out or reheat leftovers. Then just pop them in the dishwasher for fast and easy cleaning.
- These containers are also stain proof so you don’t have to worry about tomato-based soups and sauces discoloring them. No more ugly, stained containers!
- Both the container and the lids are BPA free.
- Made from durable materials, these containers are rugged and built to last. If you have smaller sizes, store them inside your largest one to save space.
- Some customers found that the newer lids were not as durable as previous ones. However, new lids can be purchased and are interchangeable on all containers.
Related Article: Best Container For Brown Sugar
Snapware containers are perfect for storing food and are freezer safe, making it easy to meal prep for the week ahead. They come in multiple sizes but the 15.3-cup container is well suited to a large amount of soup when you want to freeze it.
If you make multiple recipes, you can use several containers and stack them in the freezer or place them side-by-side. The slim design means they won’t take up a lot of space so you’ll be able to fit more in without compromising.
Read Also: Best Vegan Canned Soups
- Lids lock into place to prevent spills and the snap lock is easy to open and close
- The plastic does not crack when it is frozen
- Made from BPA free plastic that is lightweight
- A few people found that the rubber gasket to seal the lid can get moldy if it is not regularly cleaned
These glass containers hold 30 ounces, making them large enough for even the biggest amount of leftovers. They are freezer-safe and can even be used in the oven or microwave to reheat food. Just don’t microwave the lids because high temperatures can damage the silicone sealing strip.
- FDA approved and made from thick, borosilicate glass that is durable and environmentally friendly.
- Airtight and leak proof to prevent spills and keep food fresher for longer compared to plastic containers.
- These containers are on the larger side and weight over 1 pound, making them a little on the heavier side
- A few customers found that removing the lids too quickly caused the silicone seals to stick to the container or rip apart so they need to be handled with care.
Read Also: Best Container For Kimchi
These silicone containers are perfect for all kinds of food storage and are freezer safe to conveniently store leftovers for later. With four different sizes to choose from, you’re sure to find one that’s right for the amount of food you have.
Put the majority of your soup into a large one and keep out a few portions in the smaller sizes to eat right away. They easily stack to keep the freezer organized and secure lids prevent spills.
- The bright colors are an instant mood booster and make cooking and eating a fun experience
- Each container is collapsible to be stored without taking up a lot of room and smaller containers can be nestled inside the bigger ones
- Made from BPA free, food-grade silicone which is non-toxic, odorless, and tasteless
- There is a seam between the silicone and the lip of the container that some people found mold can build up in and be difficult to clean.
Recommended Article: 8 Best Container for Overnight Oats
Chances are these containers look familiar because they are a staple with restaurants for serving take-out foods. One of the reasons they are so popular is because they work well because of their airtight lids that make sure contents stay fresh.
They are freezer safe and stackable so you can use more vertical room instead of cluttering up your entire freezer with leftovers. When empty, store them stacked inside of each other to make more space in a tiny kitchen.
- Made from heavy-duty, polypropylene plastic that is BPA-free and durable
- Perfect for food prep and cooking large batches
- Several customers have stated that they don’t stain when tomato sauce is stored in them but yellow curries will stain if stored for a long time
- These containers are not as long-lasting and may become brittle over time after being frozen and thawed or heated multiple times.
See Also: Best Container for Sourdough Starter
Although these containers may look simple, they are durable and and get the job done which makes them perfect for freezing food. The 1-quart size is large enough for soups and other foods that need to be stored.
They are made in the USA from BPA free materials that are FDA certified for food use and storage. After freezing, just run some hot water along the side to get the contents to slip out into a pot for reheating for an instant meal.
- Polyethylene plastic doesn’t crack when frozen and can be defrosted safely in the microwave
- Dishwasher safe makes cleanup a breeze
- The lid has a place to write the date and contents so you know how long something has been in the freezer and what is inside
- There are also markings so you can measure out a specific quantity and a fill line to prevent overflow and spills
- While many people find these perfect for freezing soup, others thought they weren’t durable enough and thought the plastic was too thin
- Several customers found the lids were not that secure and had a tendency to pop off
Recommended Article: Best Containers For Freezing Individual Meals
This glass container is freezer safe and can easily be taken from the freezer straight to the oven to thaw or heat up soups. It can also be microwaved for faster meal prep and then put directly into the dishwasher for fast cleaning.
- Rectangular design makes it easy to ladle or pour soup into the container to be frozen
- Made from borosilicate glass that is BPA free and naturally stain proof
- A silicone seal makes this leakproof and locking tabs provide extra security. The silicone is also easy to clean to prevent mold and other damage to the seal.
- Some people found that the glass chipped easily
- The containers don’t leak but are not considered airtight and contents may oxidize
These jars are quite large and hold 64 ounces, making them ideal for double batches of your favorite soups. The leakproof lids mean you won’t have to worry about spills but make sure to leave a bit of room for the contents to expand once frozen.
- Comes with rubber bands and muslin cloth so these can be used for more than just freezing soup
- Lids are plastic and will not corrode or rust like some metal lids have a tendency to do
- Containers are free from toxins and BPA as well as USDA certified to be safe for all foods
- Although they look like Mason jars, these jars are not interchangeable or as durable as their name brand counterparts
If you need a heavy-duty container for long-term storage, then this is the one for you. They are designed specifically for freezer storage and can be frozen for a long time up to temperatures of -40 degrees.
They are also affordable and you can buy extras to send leftovers home with friends and family without worrying about getting them back. If you’re tired of the soup you made, put it in this container and freeze it for a long time. It’ll still be good when you’re finally ready to eat it again.
- Made from durable, restaurant-quality materials
- Translucent color so you can see what is inside and avoid mixing up different foods
- Lids seal tightly to prevent freezer burn and containers can be used over and over, making them a great value for the price
- Some found that, even though they are microwave safe, they did not hold up well when microwaved
Further Reading: Best Airtight Containers for Pantry
This 15-cup container is made from glass and features a handle on the top so you can pick it up and transport it easily to bring to work or a potluck. The handle also recesses so you can stack even more containers on top.
It is made from sturdy and heavy-duty class so it can handle a lot of use without breaking down, making it a good investment. It’s also watertight and the lid locks on and seals tightly to prevent leaks and odors from getting inside.
- Made from natural components such as silica and limestone that are eco-friendly. It can also be recycled
- The handle makes it easy to pick up if contents are hot without burning your hands
- You can also pour hot soup directly in without waiting for it to cool down
- It’s unclear if it is dishwasher safe as some have experienced it shattering when put in the dishwasher
- It cannot be used in the oven to thaw or reheat food and cannot be used as a baking dish
What to Consider When Choosing a Container to Freeze Soup
When it comes to freezing soup for later, chances are you want to save time by making up a big batch. That means you’ll need a large container to fit it in so you don’t have to clutter the freezer by using several smaller ones.
Most of the items we selected are around 30 ounces so they should be adequate unless you plan to make several kinds of soup or a month’s worth of meals in advance. If you just want to freeze a little bit of leftovers, you can still use a large container if you have the space for it.
Since you’ll be freezing the soup for some time, it makes sense that any container you choose should be freezer safe. This means it won’t break when frozen or get damaged by cold temperatures so you can stick it in the freezer and forget about it until it’s time to thaw and eat.
A good seal is also important so soup doesn’t spill or get sloshed around. Once it’s frozen, an airtight lid will prevent the container from opening up and the contents getting freezer burn.
Look for lids that have a tight seal but can still be easily opened after they’ve been in the freezer for a long time. If you have a hard time opening a container, try running it under warm water to gently loosen it up.
Containers should be strong enough to hold a lot of liquid without bending or warping. If leftovers are kept in the fridge for several weeks, the material should be durable enough not to break down, get brittle, or crack.
When it comes time to thaw out the soup or reheat it, look for a container that can be put in the microwave. Some are microwave-safe but the lids might not be, so be sure to remove them to prevent damage.
Many freezer-safe containers are made from plastic and, because you’ll be keeping food in them for a long time, you want to make sure they are BPA free. Newer containers are usually made with this in mind but don’t forget to check the packaging or contact the manufacturer just to be sure.
Further Reading: Best Containers for Freezing and Reheating
You really can’t go wrong with a durable Rubbermaid container so their Rubbermaid Premier Food Storage Containers are a top pick. They can be frozen and then thawed in the microwave and they stay clean and look great for a long time.
The Vremi Silicone Food Storage Containers are a close runner up because of their bright colors and the fact that they collapse. You can’t go wrong with a container that is easy to store but can also be frozen or heated in the microwave.