Wondering if tangerines are a good source of fiber? Fear not, we will answer that question for you in this article. Not only that, you’ll get some more useful info as well.
- The first part of the article will answer your main burning question. You will get to know if tangerines are a good source of fiber or not. We will give you their exact fiber count and the number of calories.
- In the second part, we will compare tangerines as a fiber source with other similar foods. This should help you get some context and see how they fare in the world of fiber.
- Finally, we will provide you with the fiber amounts in tangerines in various measurements.
That’s about it, read on and all of this info is yours!
Quick Answer: Are tangerines a good source of fiber? One medium-sized tangerine has 1.6 grams of fiber and 46.6 calories. You will get 3.4 grams of fiber for every 100 calories of tangerines you eat.
This makes tangerines a good source of fiber! They are definitely not the best, and won’t win any awards for their fiber content, but 3.4 grams per 100 calories is a decent amount.
You can’t go wrong by adding tangerines to your diet if you want to increase your fiber intake. However, there are some things you should keep in mind.
Make sure you have other fiber sources that can provide you with more fiber. While the fiber in tangerines is good, it is not nearly enough for them to be your main fiber source.
You will need to look into other fiber sources, get the majority of your daily fiber from them, and tangerines can fill out the rest.
We mentioned daily fiber, so you might be wondering, what is the recommended daily amount? Well, according to experts, it is 30 grams.
With tangerines alone, you would need to eat 19 medium-sized ones to reach that amount. That is too many tangerines for a single day for sure, and even the calorie count is quite high, clocking in at 874.
This is why you should combine multiple fiber sources into your diet. It will make reaching the daily 30 grams of fiber much easier.
Now, let’s take a look at how tangerines compare to other similar foods as fiber sources.
Comparing Fiber In Tangerines To Similar Foods
So, one medium-sized tangerine has 1.6 grams of fiber and 46.6 calories. (3.4 grams of fiber per 100 calories) Now let’s see how they compare to other similar foods based on their fiber count:
- One medium-sized orange has 3.1 grams of fiber and 61.6 calories. (5 grams of fiber per 100 calories) Oranges are better sources of fiber than tangerines. They provide you with almost 50% more fiber.
- One medium-sized lemon has 1.6g of fiber and 16.8 calories. (9.5 grams of fiber per 100 calories) Lemons are an amazing fiber source and contain almost 3 times more fiber per calorie than tangerines.
- One peach has 2.3g of fiber and 58 calories. (4 grams of fiber per 100 calories) Peaches are a bit better than tangerines, but not by much, the difference is marginal.
- Apricots have 3.1g of fiber per 74 calories. (4.2 grams of fiber per 100 calories) Apricots are also better than tangerines, quite similarly to peaches, actually.
- An avocado has 9.2 grams of fiber and 227.1 calories. (4 grams of fiber per 100 calories) It is yet another fruit that is just slightly better than a tangerine based on its fiber content.
- A kiwi has 2.1 grams of fiber and 42.1 calories (5 grams of fiber per 100 calories) A kiwi is a good source of fiber, providing you with the same amount of fiber as oranges, meaning it is better than tangerines.
How Much Fiber Tangerines Contain By Quantity
- 1 medium-sized tangerine has 1.6 grams of fiber and 46.6 calories.
- Tangerines have 1.8 grams of fiber and 53 calories per 100 grams.
- Tangerines have 0.5 grams of fiber and 15 calories per oz.
Tangerines are a decent source of fiber, but won’t be enough on their own. They will provide you with a nice amount of fiber, but nowhere near the daily recommended goal unless you eat a ton of them. This is why we recommend that you combine them with multiple other fiber sources if you plan on adding them to your diet. This way you can have foods that are your main sources of fiber, and tangerines which play a supporting role.
Hey, I’m Joey. I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid and love everything about it. You can find my writing about food, kitchen appliances (such as blenders) and much more. Thanks for stopping by!