If you’re interested in learning if plums are a good source of fiber, we have the information you seek. This post will teach you the most important stuff about fiber content in plums. After stating the exact amount of fiber this fruit contains, we will mention other similar foods and their fiber content. Finally, we will give you the fiber content in plums in several different measurements.
We won’t forget about the calorie counts either. Let’s begin!
Quick Answer: Are plums considered a good source of fiber? A cup of plums has 2.7 grams of fiber and 87.2 calories. This is a decent amount, but it falls short of many different fruits. While there are surely other better options available, that doesn’t mean you should stop eating plums.
You should combine plums with other fruits and foods in order to create the best diet for yourself. You need about 30 grams of fiber daily as an optimal amount. To reach that with plums you would need to eat 11 cups of plums! That is a bit much even if we ignore the calorie total, which is 969 calories. Plums shouldn’t be the main food in your fiber-rich diet, but they can be one of the ingredients.
Let’s see how well they compare to some other foods when it comes to fiber.
Comparing Fiber In Plums To Similar Foods
You learned that a cup of plums has 2.7 grams of fiber and 87.2 calories. (3.1 grams of fiber per 100 calories) Now we will compare them to other similar foods:
- One peach has 2.3g of fiber and 58 calories. It is slightly better than plums as a source of fiber. (4 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- A cup of apricots has 3.1g of fiber per 74 calories, making them a better pick for fiber-rich food than plums. (4.2 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- Strawberries have 2.9 grams of fiber and 47 calories per cup. Strawberries are a much better choice than plums. (6.17 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- Raspberries have 8 grams of fiber per cup, with only 65 calories. They are one of the best fruits when it comes to fiber content, and definitely better than plums. (12.3 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- Blueberries contain 3.6 grams of fiber and 85 calories per 1 cup. Another better choice than plums. (4.23 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- Blackberries have 8 grams of fiber per cup, and 63 calories. It is hard to do better than this, they are the best source of fiber out of all on this list. (12.7 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
How Much Fiber Plums Contain By Quantity
- 1 cup of plums has 2.7 grams of fiber and 87.2 calories.
- Plums have 1.4 grams of fiber and 46 calories per 100 grams.
- Plums have 0.4 grams of fiber and 13 calories per oz.
Plums are a decent source of fiber but ultimately nothing to write home about. There are other fruits that will provide you with way more fiber. Still, there is no need to ignore plums completely, and you can make them a part of your diet. Just don’t expect them to be a good main source of fiber.