So you want to add more fiber to your diet and love eating grits? If you’re wondering if grits are a good source of fiber, we have all the answers you need. In this article, we will be talking about the amount of fiber in grits, but not only that.
We will also compare grits to other similar foods and give you the amount of fiber in grits in various measurements. We will also add the calorie count so you don’t have to search elsewhere! Read on to learn all about it!
Quick Answer: So, are grits a good source of fiber? A cup of grits has 2.2 grams of fiber and 177.5 calories. That is definitely not the best fiber to calorie ratio. We’d have to say that grits are not that good of a source of fiber.
This doesn’t mean you should stop eating grits completely. Just make sure to add other, fiber-rich foods to your diet, since grits alone won’t cut it. While this might disappoint some, trust us, there are plenty of other foods you can eat combined with grits to reach your daily fiber amount.
For some context, to eat 30 grams of fiber, you would need to eat 13.5 cups of grits. This would equate to 2,420 calories, which is an insane amount.
Now, let’s see what other, similar foods look like when it comes to fiber.
Comparing Fiber In Grits To Similar Foods
Grits have 2.2 grams of fiber and 177.5 calories per cup. (1.24 grams of fiber per 100 calories). Let’s see how that compares to similar foods:
- 1 cup of oats has 8.2 grams of fiber and 307 calories. This makes it a much better choice than grits. (2.7 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- White rice has 1.4 grams of fiber and 195 calories per cup. Grits have a lot more fiber than rice, making them a better choice. (0.72 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- A cup of beans has 18.1 grams of fiber and 240.8 calories, which is a lot better than grits. Beans are a great choice when it comes to fiber. (7.5 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- 1 cup of quinoa has 5 grams of fiber and 222 calories. While not the best, it is still better than grits. (2.22g per 100 calories)
- White rice has 1.4 grams of fiber and 195 calories per cup. Definitely a worse choice than grits. (0.72 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- Almonds have 16.2 grams of fiber, per cup, with 750 calories. While the calorie count is high, they offer more fiber per calorie than grits. (2.16 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
How Much Fiber Grits Contain By Quantity
- 1 cup of grits has 2.2 grams of fiber and 177.5 calories.
- Grits have 0.9 grams of fiber and 69.1 calories per 100 grams.
- Grits have 0.2 grams of fiber and 19.6 calories per oz.
Sorry to disappoint you, but grits are not the best choice of food for a fiber-rich diet. They do offer some fiber, so you shouldn’t skip them altogether. Still, they can’t be your main source of fiber, and you should try to use other foods in your diet to reach your daily fiber quota. Try to replace grits with other, similar foods if you can for easy access to more fiber.
Hey, I’m Joey. I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid and love everything about it. You can find my writing about food, kitchen appliances (such as blenders) and much more. Thanks for stopping by!