Dates are sweet fruits that grow on date palms. This fruit is a great source of plenty of nutrients such as potassium, polyphenols, and also fiber. However, they also contain quite a bit of sugar which makes them have a lot of calories.
In this post, we will take a look at dates as a source of fiber, compare them with other similar foods and see how much fiber dates have in different measurements.
Read on to learn everything about it.
But first, let’s start with the main question – are dates a good source of fiber?
Quick Answer: A cup of dates has 3 grams of fiber and 204 calories. While that is not a bad amount per se, there are other foods out there that have a greater amount of fiber per calorie.
The ratio of fiber to calories is just too low for dates to be considered a good source of fiber. If you love eating them you shouldn’t stop, but make sure to combine them with other foods to reach your daily fiber goal.
It is recommended that you eat 30 grams of fiber each day. With dates, you would need to eat 10 cups to reach that. This means you would eat 2,000 calories worth of dates, which is definitely a bit much.
Next, we will compare the fiber amount in dates to other similar foods.
Comparing Fiber In Dates To Similar Foods
Dates have 3 grams of fiber and 204 calories per cup. (1.5 grams of fiber per 100 calories) Let’s compare them with other, similar foods.
- One cup of grapes contains 1.4g of fiber and has a whopping 104.2 calories. This makes them almost the same as dates. (1.4 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- Blueberries contain 3.6 grams of fiber per 1 cup, while also having 85 calories. This makes them a much better choice. (4.23 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- Raspberries have 8 grams of fiber per cup, with only 65 calories. They are an excellent fruit to snack on, rich in fiber. (12.3 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- One cup of almonds has 16.2 grams of fiber, but the calorie count is also quite high, with 750 calories. Still, they contain more fiber than dates. (2.16 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- Plums have 2.7g of fiber and 87 calories per cup. Considering the number of calories, they are a better choice than dates. (3.1 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- Cashews have 4.3 grams of fiber and 718.9 calories per one cup. They are definitely a worse source of fiber than dates. (0.6 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
How Much Fiber Dates Contain By Quantity
- 1 cup of dates has 3 grams of fiber and 204 calories.
- Dates have 1.8 grams of fiber and 124 calories per 100 grams.
- Dates have 0.5 grams of fiber and 35.2 calories per oz.
While definitely a healthy fruit with many nutrients, dates don’t have the ideal ratio of fiber and calories. Still, they do provide a decent amount so you can implement them in your diet. Many people enjoy eating them due to their sweetness and don’t let us stop you. But make sure to add other foods rich in fiber to your daily menu.
Hey, I’m Joey. I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid and love everything about it. You can find my writing about food, kitchen appliances (such as blenders) and much more. Thanks for stopping by!